• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fractional buffalos?

9 posts in this topic

I was reading somewhere on another forum and there are at least 2 threads about fractional buffalos coming out in 2008. Apparently the mint announced it!

I went on the mints website but cannot find the information. Can anyone confirm this, their release in summer 2008? I'm definitely going to pick up a '08 9999 pure gold buffalo 1/4 oz..I can't wait. What stimpy from ren & stimpy says, oh joy!

I've been hoping for this!

:grin:

I can live without more coins from the mint.

Having said that I will say the Buffalo .999 $50 gold piece in Proof is a handsome coin. I bought one for myself last year before gold went nuts. The reason why the design works better than it did on the Buffalo dollar is that it is a more faithful rendition of James Frazer's original design.

Chances are I won’t be buying any of these “Jr. Buffalo” coins unless gold gets back down to $300. You just can’t keep sinking money in to everything the mint makes and hope to collect anything else. (shrug)

They're coming out this summer according to numismaster.com:

American Buffalo gold coins will be available in fractional sizes in 2008.

Proof and uncirculated 2008 Buffaloes will come in half-ounce, quarter-ounce and tenth-ounce sizes, the U.S. Mint announced Jan. 30.

Four-coin sets including one-ounce coins are to be sold as well.

The 2008 one-ounce uncirculated Buffalo will continue to be available singly.

Proof Buffaloes in fractional sizes are expected to go on sale this summer.

Since a 2006 debut, the American Buffalo gold coins have been the Mint's .9999 fine gold coin option, intended to compete in the marketplace with other 24-karat gold coin offerings from other world mints.

American Eagle gold coins, which come in the same fractional sizes and have been available since 1986, are made of .9167 fine gold. Gold Eagles were assigned face value denominations of $50, $25, $10 and $5. Other than size-specific information, all four sizes share the same Saint-Gaudens double eagle obverse design and "Family of Eagles" reverse design.

Intended designs and denominations for the 2008 fractional Buffaloes were not specified by press time. The one-ounce gold Buffalo is denominated $50.

Article Link

I had planned on buying a 1/4 oz coin, and putting it into a multiholder with a nice 1913 T1 Buffalo nickel. That would make a neat set.

Which coin is closest to the nickel in size? That would be a cool coin if it were the same size, I think.

If they are simlar in size to the Gold Eagles, the quarter ounce would be the closest. 22 mm for the gold 21.2 mm for the nickel.