• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just by chance found this Stamp from the same Norse A Neat Find to Make A Set...

24 posts in this topic

I by chance found this nice stamp that celebrates the Norse American Centennial..I think it makes a nice addition with the coin/medal....I won't be starting stamp collecting but couldn't pass this one up with the viking ship...

51906-MVC-665S.JPG.cd7c73faf1fc5da8aa82c6c1c0d92674.JPG

51907-MVC-529S.jpg.d6aefd050849326b9ff0a2b56842fbe1.jpg

51908-MVC-531S.jpg.5c3de24a073abb972bb6485d014dc47e.jpg

Cool, I wonder if you could get the TPGS to put them together in a special holder.

That's a great idea.I think that there's a Washington stamp that matches Laura Frazer's Washington quarter/Washinton gold $5 commem.

Nice find. (thumbs u

Makes me want to get a Roosevelt stamp to go with one of my dimes. hm

:makepoint:

:grin:

Is stamp full glue-NH? Norse-American series of (2) stamps ($0.02 & $0.05) was issued at the same time as the 1925 series of (2) coins. The are a quite desirable stamp set in VF, NH.

That's really cool, does the other side of the stamp have an image of the Viking on it? hm:o
lol. Yeah what does the stamp's reverse look like? Seriously though. That is pretty cool. I like it.

Is stamp full glue-NH? Norse-American series of (2) stamps ($0.02 & $0.05) was issued at the same time as the 1925 series of (2) coins. The are a quite desirable stamp set in VF, NH.

I didn't realize the mint issued two coins. Got any pics?

The mint issued a thick and a thin medal in silver and one in gold.

----------------------------------------

The mintage for the thick was actually 34,750 struck on various days in May of 1925 with 6000 of the thins struck over three separate days in May. They sold for just over a buck apiece at the time. There were also golds struck at the time which bring a pretty penny today. However, many were whizzed and acid treated to simulate the original matte finish. These bring a substantially reduced price.

These medals are no longer as popular as they once were. These were once extremely popular with the old-time classic commem collectors. They have faded from memory in the past 20 years but will probably see an upsurgence with the popularity of so called dollars and medals increasing with the new found exposure on e-bay. Regardless, this is a magnificent medal designed by the famed James Earl Fraser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember five or six years ago, the market for norse medals was $50 for BU thicks, and $100 for BU thins. As soon as NGC and PCGS started graded these medals, the market took off as they were promoted. Same with HK medals. While not being very "rare", the thins are scarce when not abused. The thicks are very common, and overrated pricewise. PCGS65 thicks are priced at $500 and thins at $800, which is unrealistic. Meanwhile NGC64 thicks are about $250 and thins are $400. Commem medals are cool, but not rare, unless you have a special medal.

Truthteller 8-1-05

Cool, I wonder if you could get the TPGS to put them together in a special holder.

I already asked about that when the Mint released the USMC Coin & Stamp Set. I was told that they wouldn't because the glue on the stamp might contaminate the coin.

Chris

but dont they have special stuff for stamps now? sorta like an air tight. lil case to put it in. so the stamp wouldnt be letting the glue vapers off.

but dont they have special stuff for stamps now? sorta like an air tight. lil case to put it in. so the stamp wouldnt be letting the glue vapers off.

That would be like giving you the keys to Jimmie Johnson's race car, and not telling you there is no insurance coverage.

Chris

Just lick the stamp and stick it on the slab. I hear that stickered slabs are worth 20% more. :grin:

Just lick the stamp and stick it on the slab. I hear that stickered slabs are worth 20% more. :grin:

Funny but I happen to agree. (thumbs u

superb (thumbs u a great coin and stamp combo

both are really eye appealling together :cloud9:

Of course he will need to get the Norse gold medal to go with that set.

Don't hold your breath. I forget the mintage on that, but it's less than 50 pieces.

I have read about the gold medal and saw a pic of one in a Coin World article ( when I subscribed they used to do a piece on a different commem every issue) and yes the mintage was exactly 50 but over half went unsold and were melted...the exact # is unknown but extremely rare..my guess is an easy 6-figure coin/medal if one ever appears...

The stamp is an original..I got it for $12 on the bay...I keyworded "viking" and the stamp auction was ending soonest...

I'd like to get it included with the slab...maybe the stamp glue wouldn't affect the coins in the center of a multi-holder...would be a real nice set with the thick & thin coins plus the 2c & 5C stamps...

Thanks for the tip, Jackson. (thumbs u

I'm watching this one.

I picked up reproduction set as well with a 24K stamp. Great thread! I've always admired the Norse American Medal, it's by a famous designer and I have an NGC MS64 thin that I really like.

51931-0a.jpg.86526a5a3e82fe4bfd56428d07523b35.jpg

51932-0.jpg.9f5ba8989a8f32b94ea09921f7200dc6.jpg

your welcome....and the item you're trying to win is by the same seller I got mine from..he's a reputable stamp dealer...good luck