• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A comparison of AU58 trade dollars from 3 TPGs

15 posts in this topic

With all the talk about coins being solid for the grade or not I thought I would do some checking within my own collection. Below are 6 AU58 trade dollars of these I give stickers to 4. One has far too many hits and marks and one has too much wear, and one might be an upgrade candidate. See what you think.

92344985.jpg

92344986.jpg

92344987.jpg

92344988.jpg

92344989.jpg

92344990.jpg

What a great post!

And I agree with your assessment. The 1874 is hairlined and the head is weak and shouldn't be AU58.

The NGC 1877 appears to have been cleaned and retoned.

As far as an upgrade candidate. It's possible but I'm having a hard time detecting rub on a couple of them.

Once again, this is a great, educational post. Thanks!

Here's my comments from seeing them in-hand:

No. 1 Good solid 58, has a definite difference in obverse and reverse luster. looks like it was stored obverse up for a long time.

No. 2 Not a 58 in my opinion has too many hits and marks and not enough luster - 53 or maybe 55

No. 3 Best of the lot. Good strike, smooth surfaces with almost to marks or lines, good luster

No. 4 Weakly struck on both sides. Has a nice, attractive light gold patina. Almost too many hairlines, but makes 58 because of eye appeal.

No. 5 Not a 58 in my opinion - has too much wear on both sides. It's a high end 53 or low end 55.

No. 6 Second best, but someone used it as a coaster for a bottle of finger nail polish or something similar. If you look closely on the reverse you can see a semi-circle of paint.

From what I can see, I also like #3 the best.

If you look carefully, #3 has a rim bump at 2 o'clock. For that reason it may have been net graded MS-61. I know they are not supposed to net grade coins, but it happens.

I'd have to say that #3 is my favorite coin as well, despite the rim bump. I think that #4 has problems with low eye-appeal so I am surprised that two boardsters think that this example stands out among the rest. (shrug)

#3 looks best overall. If #6 had a stronger strike it would be my favorite.

Trade dollars from 1873 to 1875 are known for weak strikes. Check out the 1874 it is weakly struck on both sides.

Thanks for sharing. A very educational post on a series that I know nothing about. I think I like #3 and #6 the best. I am surprised #4 graded at all with all the hairlines.

Have to agree...I also like # 3 the best - followed by # 6.

I'm amazed that # 4 was holdered at all...those don't look like hairlines on the obverse...they look like scratches !!

Very educational post - thanks for sharing.

I've decided to start a collection of Trade Dollars as well...

here's my first coin:

52056-1877sTradePCGS58new.JPG.6b00bab75f16c348014dcd981e6c72d1.JPG

52057-1877sTradePCGS58revNEW.JPG.ba2003e50ce95c42e87c9a2005d4567c.JPG