• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New member SOOOOOOO confused

13 posts in this topic

Well, I've been collecting for 8 years and thought I'd join NGC. I want to get some coins graded as early release. Customer Service says...'the deadlines are on our website' . WHERE? And I want to overnight the package. Do they only have a PO Box address or is there a street address? I'm not stupid, [at least I've been told I'm not] but this whole process of submission and using a coupon, etc. is very confusing. There is lots of info in the 'welcome' package. But nothing to tell me even which form I am to use. Or how do I submit my unopened platinum anniversary set...or what if I want silver eagles or gold eagles slabbed as early releases???

This site needs re-designed to be more user-friendly. Not to mention the paperwork....lots of it but NO DECENT explanation.

First off-welcome to the forum.

Second-Why not list your questions and call them. They have the most cooperative staff I have ever dealt with. Check off your questions as they are answered and you will be NGC educated.

Well, I've been collecting for 8 years and thought I'd join NGC. I want to get some coins graded as early release. Customer Service says...'the deadlines are on our website' . WHERE? And I want to overnight the package. Do they only have a PO Box address or is there a street address? I'm not stupid, [at least I've been told I'm not] but this whole process of submission and using a coupon, etc. is very confusing. There is lots of info in the 'welcome' package. But nothing to tell me even which form I am to use. Or how do I submit my unopened platinum anniversary set...or what if I want silver eagles or gold eagles slabbed as early releases???

This site needs re-designed to be more user-friendly. Not to mention the paperwork....lots of it but NO DECENT explanation.

Welcome to the neighborhood, KC!

Yes, the site can be a little confusing, but if someone like me can get used to it, anyone can. First, I think I should explain that there are two ways to access these Chat Boards:

One is by using the address www.ngccoin.com

Personally, I use this address for the Chat Boards, Census, Registry, etc. because I can remain "logged in" at all times without having to sign in each time I enter.

The other address is www.collectors-society.com

Here, you must log in each time you enter, and it is where you can find the submissions forms for submitting online. By the way, when you submit coins using the online forms, you receive an additional 10% discount. Of course, this doesn't apply to your Free Grading Certificate. If you need help completing the forms, you can contact NGC's Customer Service at 800-587-1897, 9:00AM - 5:30 PM Eastern Time and they can walk you through the process.

I keep both addresses in "My Favorites" as NGC CHAT BOARDS and NGC MY SPACE so they are right next to one another.

I hope this helps!

Chris

• Administrator
Oh and the message from architect that '90% of your questions can be answered in this post'..... the links don't work in that post. More frustration.

Oops. Fixed that. And welcome!

One thing you can do instead of looking at all the different topics after logging on to the Chat Boards is to go to the top of the page where you see "Active Topics" Click on that and you will see past 24 hours etc.

If you click on the say the alst 24 hours then you will see all topics for the last 24 hours. I ignore the ones on Comics because I am not interested.

By seeing the different topics you can get an idea of the discussions and Topics etc on the Forums. Just rememeber to log on less than 24 hours later if you choose it to keep the thread going.

This way you don't have to worry about trying to choose a Forum etc.

call customer service

from my experiences with ngc their customer service is 100%

they will guide you through it and answer all of your questions!!

1 800 ngc coin

Ok, when I started to submit coins to NGC, I found the process daunting. There is simply a TON of information on the site, and in their literature, and it seems to talk in circles if you ask me. To people who have used it for years, it makes sense. To someone who has never used it before, it may as well be written in a foreign alphabet. Personally, unless I am doing something I've done before, I often STILL have questions, so welcome to the world of coin grading mystery!

That said, here is the first thing you need, DEADLINES for Early Release bullion coins:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyreleasedate.asp

FYI, the deadline dates are NOT postmark dates, but the dates by which NGC must RECEIVE your packages. NGC submissions, as far as I've ever used, go to a Post Office Box. However, I am certain you can check with them if they use a street address and what it is. They generally respond to emails by the next business day, or you can of course call. Their web site says this about where to submit, and it lists the various PO Boxes, and mentions a physical address to be used ONLY for non post office couriers, but doesn't say what the physical address is:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=32

If you are using a paper form from them, the submission address (PO BOX) is on the form, if you are using the ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM (to get a 10% discount off the grading fee if you are Collector Society Member), then when you PRINT the form, the PO BOX for submissions will be on the form, which will print 4 copies - 3 for different departments at NGC, and one for you.

Next of your questions:

How do you get your Silver or Gold Eagles slabbed as Early Releases.

1. Meet the timeframes/submission deadline in the link above.

2. http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyrelease.asp (describes Early Releases).

3. You must select at least the Modern Special Grading Tier (The $15 per coin vs. the Modern Tier at $12.50 per coin and have at least 5 coins at this level. If you have fewer coins, you will need to select a higher level of service at a greater per coin cost. You must NOTE ON YOUR ORDER FORM THAT YOU WISH THE COINS TO BE GRADED AS "EARLY RELEASES." Modern Special is for any "special label" coins, such as Early Releases, First Year of Issue, and so forth. I know it is a little beyond what you asked, but that is mentioned here: http://www.ngccoin.com/services/earlyrelease.asp#link4

Your next question was how to submit your unopened Platinum 10th Anniversary Set. This used to be right on the NGC welcome page, but it appears that this has fallen and is hiding now.

However, I was able to find it for you, with pretty detailed instructions:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=936

Highlights below...but be sure to read it on the site for yourself, in case I missed anything. I tried to put it in more plain language.

1. To earn the special label for BOTH coins, OUTER shipping box from the Mint must remain UNOPENED.

2. You must ship that unopened box to NGC, within another shipping box.

3. If that box is tampered with, the only coin which will still be eligible for certification as a 10th Anniversary coin is the Reverse Proof because it's the only place it comes from.

4. NGC must open these boxes.

5. US Mint coin boxes (the nice wooden box and COA will be returned to the submitter). They did this successfully with the Silver and Gold 20th Anniversary sets last year, at least in my case.

6. These coins must be on THEIR OWN INVOICE.

7. They must be submitted at the MODERN SPECIAL TIER grading level (or higher) (again, this is the $15 per coin level or higher).

8. Because the coins are minted as a two-coin set, and the sets are limited to one per household, the FIVE-COIN MINIMUM is waived for this invoice if using the Modern Special Tier.

9. They cannot be mixed with other coins to qualify for this pedigree.

10. There is no "Early Release" for these, just 10th Anniversary, not both.

I hope that helps. I hope that my answers didn't overwhelm you, and good luck grading!

This is true. I mentioned the above if a New Person wants to Navigate the Forums. It can seem daunting to try and figure out the Different Forums. By going to " Active Topics " in the above toolbar one can go back in parameters from 24 hours to 7 days. Click on one of the choices and you will get a continous thread in all the Forums over that period an it is a much easier experience than trying to Navigate each Forum.

Thanks to you and all the others who took the time to reply. NGC Customer Service was very helpful. I have to admit that late at night is not the best time to work on filling out a submission form for the first time. fyi, I called Customer Service for a competing company and guess what the lady's answer was to my question about their coin code? And I quote, "I really don't know that much about coins."

Thanks to you and all the others who took the time to reply. NGC Customer Service was very helpful. I have to admit that late at night is not the best time to work on filling out a submission form for the first time. fyi, I called Customer Service for a competing company and guess what the lady's answer was to my question about their coin code? And I quote, "I really don't know that much about coins."

I am not surprised at all. I once had an argument with a company about storage boxes they sent me. There was a sale on PCGS storage boxes, many of us have seen them, the blue ones, similar to the NGC ones, just slightly different in size, but still hold 20 slabbed coins.

Anyway, instead of getting PCGS storage boxes, I got Littleton Coin Company storage boxes that hold 2x2 flips. Here's the thing: They were blue, and they were ABOUT the same size as the PCGS storage boxes. I can totally understand how any human being grabbing items off a shelf when packing a box for shipping could make that mistake without examining the items closely.

Where things went awry, however, is when I emailed and called, to try to get replacements for the erroneous boxes, and was told they didn't SELL Littleton Coin Company storage boxes. They were [another company mint name] and thus would NEVER sell a competitor's product. I said, well, it's funny, because those blue boxes made it into the UPS shipping carton with the rest of my order. So, either you put them in there, or someone at UPS along the way opened the box in a VERY stealth fashion, REMOVED the PCGS storage boxes, and replaced them with Littleton Coin Company blue boxes that LOOK nearly identical, leaving the rest of my order alone.

We argued about that for a while, because I further pointed out that if they DON'T and WOULD NEVER sell another company's products, how is it that they sell PCGS and NGC storage boxes? Uh, well, ummm, that's different. How? A storage box is a storage box, regardless of who makes it - get over yourselves.

Ok, then, what's the problem they said? Well, these boxes don't hold slabbed coins. Inside the boxes, there are just three dividers, and lots of open space, whereas the PCGS boxes have grooves along each side to hold up to 20 encapsulated coins. This expert "mint" had NO IDEA what the heck I was talking about. "I've never seen the boxes or these slabs you're talking about."

Ok, let me get this right, you're such an expert, but you've never SEEN them, but you're perfectly willing to ARGUE with me about the fact that you sent me the wrong item? Uh huh. I talked to at least two more managers who argued with me about it, including the shipping manager who actually had to scour their web site to find the item I was talking about to see that I wasn't making it up -- they actually do carry it. While you couldn't see the name on the lid, the description fit. He insisted though that it "probably" wouldn't say Littleton Coin Company on it, but instead would have their OWN name on it -- yeah right. So, they'd send replacements. All these "experts" who have never collected a coin or even SEEN the merchandise they are pushing.

I am not surprised at all. I once had an argument with a company about storage boxes they sent me. There was a sale on PCGS storage boxes, many of us have seen them, the blue ones, similar to the NGC ones, just slightly different in size, but still hold 20 slabbed coins.

Anyway, instead of getting PCGS storage boxes, I got Littleton Coin Company storage boxes that hold 2x2 flips. Here's the thing: They were blue, and they were ABOUT the same size as the PCGS storage boxes. I can totally understand how any human being grabbing items off a shelf when packing a box for shipping could make that mistake without examining the items closely.

Where things went awry, however, is when I emailed and called, to try to get replacements for the erroneous boxes, and was told they didn't SELL Littleton Coin Company storage boxes. They were [another company mint name] and thus would NEVER sell a competitor's product. I said, well, it's funny, because those blue boxes made it into the UPS shipping carton with the rest of my order. So, either you put them in there, or someone at UPS along the way opened the box in a VERY stealth fashion, REMOVED the PCGS storage boxes, and replaced them with Littleton Coin Company blue boxes that LOOK nearly identical, leaving the rest of my order alone.

We argued about that for a while, because I further pointed out that if they DON'T and WOULD NEVER sell another company's products, how is it that they sell PCGS and NGC storage boxes? Uh, well, ummm, that's different. How? A storage box is a storage box, regardless of who makes it - get over yourselves.

Ok, then, what's the problem they said? Well, these boxes don't hold slabbed coins. Inside the boxes, there are just three dividers, and lots of open space, whereas the PCGS boxes have grooves along each side to hold up to 20 encapsulated coins. This expert "mint" had NO IDEA what the heck I was talking about. "I've never seen the boxes or these slabs you're talking about."

Ok, let me get this right, you're such an expert, but you've never SEEN them, but you're perfectly willing to ARGUE with me about the fact that you sent me the wrong item? Uh huh. I talked to at least two more managers who argued with me about it, including the shipping manager who actually had to scour their web site to find the item I was talking about to see that I wasn't making it up -- they actually do carry it. While you couldn't see the name on the lid, the description fit. He insisted though that it "probably" wouldn't say Littleton Coin Company on it, but instead would have their OWN name on it -- yeah right. So, they'd send replacements. All these "experts" who have never collected a coin or even SEEN the merchandise they are pushing.

This is why I like buying most of my supplies from JP's Corner. Jerry will take things back without question or argument.

Chris