• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More opinions sought on dipping or ms70 for seated dollar.

21 posts in this topic

It's in a NGC60 slab. REALLY tempted to try some cosmetic treatment and try again. Not much traffic but ..............dull...........

Reverse much nicer and NOT dull.

Thinking MS70 with downside of a 58 so not much .....risk...???

FAR nicer than a 62 I got from a major dlr but ret'd as being all gouged up.

Camera tilted to show absolute WORST characteristics of color.........and...dark knees. Under the darkness seems not to be worn .......but.........color can hide stuff too.

Sure wish whoever submitted first had done some stuff.

It's a 59-O

?????????????/

59o.JPG

Sure wish whoever submitted first had done some stuff.

Maybe they did?

Why mess with it, except as an experiment. So you dip it and it MS61's - doesn't really add any value, you've got another grading fee into the coin and have messed around with it for a month. 1859-O's are readily available flashy and lustrous in the MS61-63 range - a dull coin will never be worth much more than MS60 money.

In general, I don't like coins to be dipped or altered. Besides that, on that coin, you run the risk that removing the dark toning on the high points might reveal surfaces with significant rub - and therefore a cosmetic and technical downgrade! But it's your coin, so you can do what you want with it. wink.gif

James

I can't see any way that you are going to improve this coin by dipping it. 893naughty-thumb.gif It's already been dipped at least once. That's why it looks dull to you now. The mint surfaces have been stripped, which is why it's graded MS-60.

You should be happy that this coin is not heavily bag marked. 1859-O and 1860-O were hoard dates that came out of the Treasury in the early 1960s. Most of them were really banged up from repeated movement in treasury bags. For that reason (clean surfaces) this is a PQ MS-60 coin.

Personally I have never fooled with MS-70, but a couple of dealer friends showed me some coins that they said had been dipped in MS-70, and I did not care for them. The coins had a very bright, shine in your face type "phoney" luster that neophyte collectors love and veteran collectors usually dislike. If that is what you are supposed to get with this product, I'll pass. 893whatthe.gif

Dude,

I think I've asked you this across the street, and you failed to answer. So, I'll try again:

What, precisely, do you hope to gain by dipping the coin? I assume that you are hoping that the coin will become less dull. Is that correct?

If so, then what makes you think that stripping yet another layer off the coin will make it less dull? Perhaps I don't understand what *you* mean by the word dull, but I generally think of it in the numismatic sense as being bereft of original mint luster. If you mean the coin has hazy toning, then that is a different matter. But, judging from your picture, I think my definition of the word dull seems to fit nicely.

In that case, dipping the coin would only strip yet another layer off the coin and make it even more DULL. It may be brighter in the beginning right after the bath, but then it will mellow and become dull again. And, this time, it'll be worse than before!

But, it is your coin...

EVP

What does MS70 do to a coin as opposed to what dipping does?

MS70 is not a dip, it is a powerful, highly concentrated soap. Someone told me once that MS70 was originally designed as a detergent for golf ball washers at golf courses. It has none of the acidic properties that jewel lustre or other dips have. MS70 does not strip away metal on a coin as dip does, so the coins luster is unimpaired. Dipping a coin in MS70 doesn't do anything, it needs to be applied with a cotton swab and gently massage into the coin then rinsed thoroughly. MS70 works well to clean gunk and haze of of high grade uncirculated silver and nickel coins, but leaves copper looking completely unnatural. I would only use MS70 on modern coins, and only if I had to.

I have never used MS70 but from Android's description of it I would venture a guess that it is a surfactant.

As for the Seated dollar, why do you want to dip it? Picture what this coin will look like after another bath and then ask yourself which image you like better, which image will others like better and which image will make the coin more liquid. I believe that the answers will consistently tell you to either do nothing with the coin or to sell it, as is, if you are unhappy with it. My own opinion is that you will have a monstrosity AU58 on your hands should you dip it. Sorry.

If you don't like the dark toning send it to NCS and pay the five bucks for the grade guaranty

NCS have updated their fee structure such that grade protection is included in the conservation fee. See the NCS web site for details.

Beijim

Thinking MS70 with downside of a 58 so not much .....risk...???

most likely from the treasury hoard and graded in the late 80's or early 90's when many of the bu first made it into plastic and looks to be strictly a bu coin. many of those early ngc graded 59 & 60 o's were definately undergraded. the 'dark knees' are likely nothing more than cabinet friction and could be removed with ms70. the worst case is the coin doesn't upgrade but is 'more attractive' for a 'cleaner' look and little else is at risk. and that alone should garner extra $$$. the upside, of course, is a regrade at '62+. imho, the coin will lighten considerably with a ms70 scrubbing. after, i would reassess the coin for an acid bath. if the reverse retains nice luster the chances are that the obverse luster is well hidden and just needs some work to bring it out. don't get crazy as i suspect the obverse luster is mostly lost to the ages.

EVP....... I guess I was unclear. The coin appears to have a dull TONE. Like old finger oil that has gone rancid.

I have not yet done anything. The reverse is far brighter.....BRIGHTER.

Cartwheel is evident both sides. And the dark on the knees DOES look like ...dirt. It doesn't RESEMBLE friction........but who knows? Hence the lack of any activity on it so far.

The pic is GRAYER than the coin. The gluckatoning is more BROWNISH but I took the pic to make it look as BAD as possible.

It really looks like a coin that MAY have been dipped or on the other hand, SHOULD have been dipped. The lack of marks makes it different looking than the usual hoard coin. And far less bright......which ....COULD indicate that it was toning before the bags showed up.

So far, I have MS70'ed a bunch of circ Morgans that very closely resemble this color and, as mentioned, it is NOT a dip but rather a SOAP...like thing.

The Morgans have improved immensely.......but I have not yet succumbed to the curiosity that is eating a hole in me like sulfur on a red penny.

And a few of the other "experts" who have seen the coin sorta tend toward cointagiouses take on the slug.

(One of my confirmations of curiosity is that the "experts" who have stated "AAAGH ..... no WAY to improve it" have all followed their dire prediction with a quick "Wanna SELL it?")

The strike and surface are not the very smooth surfaces of many other dates of seated dollars so the toning will NEVER be of that smooth miasma of color that seems to spread across the surface while acquiring colors. This looks more like a weak strike O mint dollar that just dwindles in luster from a mildly grainier texture.

I may BUFF it. Then I ....know.....it will be bright!

Put it in a plastic holder with a pirate story and sell it in Reader's Digest.

Maybe I'll put it in a political party and everyone can VOTE on the issue.

grin.gif

Dude ..Spend a couple a bucks,Give NCS a whirl.They do some good work.

I concur. If you care about the coin or are even remotely curious as to what results are possible, I recommend giving NCS a try. They've done some great work conserving several coins of mine.

Beijim

Duhhhhhh.....Why haven't I posted the WHOLE coin? Beats me.

And why haven't I ....REALLY.....answered EVP? Beats me.

EVP.....My INTENT is to see if I can make it into a more attractive KEEPER wihout TOO MUCH consideration of changing the value. There! No more wishy washy.

xyz.JPG

Now....here are BOTH sides.

This coin does not have many marks for an MS 60 Seated $. Usually they look like either a great white bit them a few times or a kid wanted to see how often he / she could ice skate over the coin in an hour's time.

The coin probably got its grade because it does not have attractive luster. Looking at the reverse (the obverse image is too dark), it looks like someone already tried to make the coin 'pretty,' and stripped off some of the surface. I wouldn't suggest anything that involves doing more of the same.