• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ID help please...

7 posts in this topic

I have what appears to be a medallion or token from Canada.

One side has a picture of a younger Queen. The other side has the initials (big)E(little)I(little)I(big)R with a crown above the initials and Canada below the initials, and the words "Elizabeth II Regina Coronata MCMLIII" around the outer edge. There does appear to be a raised edge around both sides of the piece and the edges appear to be plain.

Any ideas on what I have? It is very pretty and has some nice toning to it. Thanks for any help you can give on this.

I don't think this is a 1953 Elizabeth II coronation medal. I was able to find scans of those on the internet and they don't match what I have. First difference is there is no date on my piece. The scans I found have a date of June 2, 1953 for the coronation. Also, the scans of the coronation medal show the Queen dressed in a high collar outfit. Mine shows the Queen dressed in a low/no collar outfit. Another difference is the scans I saw do not have the word Canada on the side opposite the Queen. Mine does. And finally, the scans I saw show some sort of a mounting device attached to the rim of the medal for the ribbon. Mine has no such thing.

I meant that it may be "a" coronation medal, though not the official one. "MCMLIII" is the roman numeral date for 1953. I don't know how many medals and tokens were issued for her coronation, but I know there are lots for other occasions (e.g. Confederation centennial) in Canada.

I think Luvdawgs bought a book on Canadian medals and tokens, so she may be able to look it up for you. Good luck! smile.gif

Thanks for the help. I found out what it is.

It's a medal given to schoolchildren back in 1953(MCMLIII) for Queen(Regina) Elizabeth II's coronation(Coronata).

The EIIR thing is the Queen's royal 'cypher' which is sort of her monogram or symbol.

This is directly from the person who sold it to me as part of a lot of stuff/coins.

Thanks for the help. I found out what it is.

It's a medal given to schoolchildren back in 1953(MCMLIII) for Queen(Regina) Elizabeth II's coronation(Coronata).

The EIIR thing is the Queen's royal 'cypher' which is sort of her monogram or symbol.

The royal cipher is usually made up of the monarch's initial(s) followed by the number followed by R for Regina (Queen) or Rex (King). So it's E for Elizabeth, II for the 2nd, and R for Regina. Her uncle, George VI, used GVIR.

When Prince Charles becomes king, if he would keep his first name (monarchs are allowed to change in honor of past relatives), he would be Charles III, translating to CIIIR. There was some talk that since the House of Windsor had two Georges and an Edward, and the Edward abdicated, that he could take on the name George VII, or GVIIR as a cipher.

It's amazing what one remembers from a trip to Buckingham Palace 13 years ago! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif