• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Die

10 posts in this topic

that depends on what you call doubled! there is machine doubling which is not a "variety" to the graders. then there is a full doubling where both"stamped areas" are raised and clearly double struck. i dont know the date things "got better" but now i guess the mint has "somewhat" cleared problems up. now we have things like extra leaves,extra tree,strike throughs.... more than doubling.

correct me if im wrong please folks :)

There are a few minor doubled dies after 1995. One of the reasons for this is in 1997 they changed the way the create dies. Before 1997 they die multiple squeezes of the hub against the die blank. If the hub or die isn't properly aligned between squeezes a doubled die is created. But from 1997 on the die is created with a single squeeze of the hub against the die. With just one squeeze, in theory you can't get two images. But apparently if the hub is tilted when the hub and die blank come together it can create a partial impression before the hub "snaps" into the proper place and this can create a second impression in the central areas of the die. Now this type of doubled die should not be able to create doubling around the edge of the coin but there are a few post 1995 doubled dies of this type known, One that comes to mind is on a 2002 nickel and there is also a 2004 nickel (I don't know which mint).

There are a few minor doubled dies after 1995. One of the reasons for this is in 1997 they changed the way the create dies. Before 1997 they die multiple squeezes of the hub against the die blank. If the hub or die isn't properly aligned between squeezes a doubled die is created. But from 1997 on the die is created with a single squeeze of the hub against the die. With just one squeeze, in theory you can't get two images. But apparently if the hub is tilted when the hub and die blank come together it can create a partial impression before the hub "snaps" into the proper place and this can create a second impression in the central areas of the die. Now this type of doubled die should not be able to create doubling around the edge of the coin but there are a few post 1995 doubled dies of this type known, One that comes to mind is on a 2002 nickel and there is also a 2004 nickel (I don't know which mint).

There are hundreds of reported varieties in almost all denominations since 1995. Just check the coneca website for lists. Some are "major" (comparitvely) and most are minor. The ones that really go for big money are on the state quarters (Minnesota and Oregon come to mind most recently). However, you will need patience, a magnifying glass, and to know exactly where to look to find these. The truly eye popping varieties that you can find with the naked eye are few and far between (such as the 1955 Lincoln, 1961 proof Franklin, and such)

It may seem insignificant, but it could be to searches. The correct term is "doubled die". So, a search engine may not find what you want if you drop that "d"!

Good luck.

Actually, no, its not. The correct term is double die, and doubled die is used to refer to things like strike double, machine doubling, die deterioration doubling, and the like. True hub doubling is technically and correctly referred to as a "double die".

Actually, no, its not. The correct term is double die, and doubled die is used to refer to things like strike double, machine doubling, die deterioration doubling, and the like. True hub doubling is technically and correctly referred to as a "double die".

That is exactly the opposite of the way I was taught, and what I have read. (shrug)

I think you will find a lot of error/variety people who will argue that with you. The correct term is doubled die because it refers to the the fact that the coin is struck from a die that is doubled. Doubled die is NOT used to refer to strike doubling, machine doubling, die deterioration etc.

The only post doubled die that I know of off the top of my head that I would consider anything other than a minor doubled die is the 1997 doubled ear cent. And I don't think too highly of it.

I think you will find a lot of error/variety people who will argue that with you. The correct term is doubled die because it refers to the the fact that the coin is struck from a die that is doubled. Doubled die is NOT used to refer to strike doubling, machine doubling, die deterioration etc.

The only post doubled die that I know of off the top of my head that I would consider anything other than a minor doubled die is the 1997 doubled ear cent. And I don't think too highly of it.

Conder is, as usual, 100% correct

The 1955 DDO is a doubled die, NOT a double die

2006 ddr lincoln cent, double edge pres dollars, although not a traditional double die, but its close. a bunch of state hood quarters, some nickles, and im sure more, it just has to be found...