• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the best comments I've ever seen ATS, made by TradeDollarNut

12 posts in this topic

I was linked this thread ATS by a friend, and TradeDollarNut gave possibly the best, most concise response I've ever seen:

Original, undoctored coins are better because... I prefer the wonderment of how it survived in such condition to the wonderment of how the doctor managed to make it look so good.

Your opinions, please?

I was linked this thread ATS by a friend, and TradeDollarNut gave possibly the best, most concise response I've ever seen:

Original, undoctored coins are better because... I prefer the wonderment of how it survived in such condition to the wonderment of how the doctor managed to make it look so good.

Your opinions, please?

That sounds plenty good to me. And I think it at least partly explains why some collectors (regardless of what they collect) are willing to pay very strong money for objects which they think or know are original, even if they look similar or identical to ones which are not original. It's not only about the appearance, but also the appreciation for how the object was produced and preserved.

Your opinions, please?

That sounds plenty good to me. And I think it at least partly explains why some collectors (regardless of what they collect) are willing to pay very strong money for objects which they think or know are original, even if they look similar or identical to ones which are not original. It's not only about the appearance, but also the appreciation for how the object was produced and preserved.

36_1_11-2.gif:banana: :banana: ^^:applause:

I completely agree with this sentiment!

In fact, that reason is one of the primary reasons why I migrated from US coins to British coins. British coins tend to be naturally toned, and sometimes with very nice toning! I collect the larger issues mostly, Double-Florins and Victorian Crowns, but I dabble in Shillings too.

What I've noticed with British collectors/dealers is two things; the coin has either been harshly cleaned, as this was quite common and accepted practice in Victorian times (especially the larger denominations, as people liked to show off their shiny coins) or have pretty much been left alone to age gracefully in a coin cabinet or some other dark space. I've seen next to zero evidence of blatant doctoring or AT'ing of these coin issues. Also, you can often still find these coins in old collections or estate sell-offs, as opposed to the common US (ebay and other places) scam of "fresh from grandpa's stash" and "unsearched hoard!" nonsense. Being that I can usually tell a cleaned coin from a natural one quite easily (especially when the Brits were quite harsh and deliberate in their cleanings), I'm not threatened by coin doctors in this realm of collecting.

I often look at my British coins, and picture them sitting in a beautifully crafted wood coin cabinet for decades, only seeing the light of day when their owner decided to smile upon them. ahhhh.......yes.......

Doogy, thanks for a very enjoyable post. Ahhhhh :)

Thanks Mark! This is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart as far as collecting is concerned.

I know I spitballed about British coins and their natural toning, so I thought I'd put the pictures where my mouth is

Here is a thread I started somewhat recently on another fave coin site of mine. These are all Crowns that I have either owned, currently own, or bid on and lost at auction (but saved the picture, because, I love pretty coins!)

Doug

click here for the coins!

PS: I'm sure most of you will understand that my point isn't to badmouth US coins being mostly doctored, there are millions of natural examples out there; my intention is only to show some beauties in their natural state from another country.

Doogy, thanks for a very enjoyable post. Ahhhhh :)

Thanks Mark! This is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart as far as collecting is concerned.

I know I spitballed about British coins and their natural toning, so I thought I'd put the pictures where my mouth is

Here is a thread I started somewhat recently on another fave coin site of mine. These are all Crowns that I have either owned, currently own, or bid on and lost at auction (but saved the picture, because, I love pretty coins!)

Doug

click here for the coins!

PS: I'm sure most of you will understand that my point isn't to badmouth US coins being mostly doctored, there are millions of natural examples out there; my intention is only to show some beauties in their natural state from another country.

Doug, even I, as a U.S. coinage guy, liked those (thumbs u