• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silver error duplicated

15 posts in this topic

I just recieved my two 2003 silver proof sets. Both of the dimes have identical "struck through" errors. Just under the "L" in Liberty, there is a backwards "J" about 2-3 millimeters in height which is incused. It actually looks just like a fish hook without the eyelet. It appears to me that a piece of wire was stuck to the die and remained there for at least multiple strikes since I have two identical coins received from the mint at the same time. Any thoughts or feedback?

Your explanation seems completely plausible, and even likely, to me. If it were a single coin with that mark I would think it might be something that may not be so cool, however, having multiple coins with the same feature makes it pretty neat to me. thumbsup2.gif

i think you got a really goos item if a struck thruogh on a 2003 proof coin as the mint is not letting many 2003 errors out this might be a really good one and especially so on a proof coin!

get a photo taken and post it!

michael

I just received two Silver Proof sets from the mint and both are struck slightly (very slightly) off center... since I have been working mondo overtime, I haven't really had the chance to really take a good look at them... Maybe Sunday when I have a day off smile.gif

-Dave

I'm sending them to Michael tomorrow to inspect although my desciption is cut and dry and accurate. The struck through object is either a very small piece of wire or it is a metal shaving from when the die was lathed.

The error is actually attractive since it easily resembles a mintmark or a designer's initials.

LC,

It is very similar. Are errors like this scarce on current proofs or have they just been receiving more attention lately which makes them appear more common? Any guestimates on value?

Not very common on proof coins that is for sure. They try to catch these before leaving the mint. However, if they are napping some can get by. As for the value of a strike through I am not sure but, it should be well above a circulated coin because they are not checked before leaving the mint.If someone likes the coin they might spend some big bucks for it.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif