• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage VS. Ebay

14 posts in this topic

Just curious..... If you were selling 20th Anniversary Reverse Proof Silver Eagles wouldnt you be better to sell them using Heritage instead of Ebay? Was looking at the realized auction prices and they seem to be selling close to what the entire set sells for on Ebay. Just curious...

And why is that?

There were also some postings recently in the Journals from "rfar" who recently consigned a number of coins to Heritage.

The posting (four of them) have since been removed from the Journals by NGC. However, you may want to contact him directly to get his opinion of his experiences in dealing with Heritage, which were less than pleasant. His journals were VERY detailed, and apparently he has the emails to back up his claims.

He has postings in the Journals recently which talk about his posting being removed and how others may contact him directly to obtain the Journal privately.

I'm not saying that you SHOULDN'T use Heritage, I'm saying that you should at least be an informed consumer, and hear about one man's experience -- and decide for yourself. From what I've seen though, he wasn't alone.

I do not collect these and have no interest in them, but my guess (and that is all it is) would be that this type of material would realize better prices on eBay. (And if it does not, I have no explanation for it.)

The reason for this is that, with the buyer's fee, its unlikely that there would be a need for anyone to buy such common material at a premium. If this is correct, that would probably mean that the buyer would be a dealer looking to acquire inventory. And I do not need to tell you that they would not be paying any amount that would reflect catalog prices.

In answer to your question, I believe the reverse proof is the money coin in the set anyhow...if you factor in that you pay 5% to sell your coins, those final sales prices include a 15%buyers fee of which you don't get any (only the hammer price for you)...you have to pick up the shipping instead of an ebay buyer...and the 45 days for payment is AFTER they have received payment for the auction, and your coins may not be put in an auction for a month or 2 also....

I think if you did the math you'd find that ebay value for these coins is comparable if not better...and the money would be in your pocket months quicker..

I like dealing with the folks at Heritage......I just don't like the images and the prices I realized vs Ebay.......probably not the same for moderns vs toners so what do I know (shrug)

Ok, I have to ask:

If you don't like the images...

and

You don't like the prices you realizes at Heritage vs. eBay

Why exactly do you like dealing with the folks at Heritage?

I mean, are they just THAT nice, or...? :acclaim:

I like dealing with the folks at Heritage......I just don't like the images and the prices I realized vs Ebay.......probably not the same for moderns vs toners so what do I know (shrug)

Ok, I have to ask:

If you don't like the images...

and

You don't like the prices you realizes at Heritage vs. eBay

Why exactly do you like dealing with the folks at Heritage?

I mean, are they just THAT nice, or...? :acclaim:

Yes they were very pleasant and listened to my concerns.....plus I dealt with one of the top guys at Heritage and I am just a little fish. He made time for me whenever I called and what I consigned was worth considerably less then a lot of what folks consign so....

I was treated well...............the images just didn't turn out the way I had hoped and it allowed for some real bargains on the coins I sold. I know it was not intentional on their part as they lost out on money as well.............I just know I could ahve done better with my own images on Ebay. Lesson learned hm

For "serious coins" that require a more sophisticated numismatic audience, I'd go with Heritage. By for a “generic” item like this, I’d say you would be better off with eBay. Having to wait 45 days to get paid is one reason. AND a set like this would get lost in shuffle in a Heritage auction. I’m no talking about the way Heritage would handle it. I’m talking about the way potential bidders would view it.

With all the complaints about Heritages images we have seen over the years, I have to wonder if you were going to consign with them if it would be possible to provide your own images rather than have Heritage make their own? That way you would know that the images of your coins would be good ones. Of course you would probably have to grant Heritage the copyright to the images, but I don't see that as a major hurdle.

They would not let me.....I think it protects then from potential photo minupulation questions/concerns from buyers. If they take all of the photos in house with the same technique......then they somewhat protect themselves. That's the problem.....different coins need different imaging techniques especially anything with toning.......they use the same for all....or at least the images look that way.