• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on an Ike

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys, and gals,

I typically do not buy Ikes but I came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3050594419&category=11981&rd=1 with like 2 minutes left in the auction hoping for some color toning. 893whatthe.gif Do you think it'll end up with color or is that blue just light reflecting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I can contribute no other information because I don't have any. Take your best guess. I'll let you know when it gets here. insane.gif

You can usually find 74-S with nice pale rainbow rim color. I really think these particular Ikes are beautiful when you find one with really nice colors. There's one that I have that has toning that is shaped like ice crystals around the rims. They're out there, you just have to look. As for this coin, it might have the toning that I've just described. It's hard to tell from the pics. But for $9.99 it's worth a shot.

Michael

As others have mentioned, the coin won't truly be blue as it appears in the image. It will have a phlegmy haze on it that will be whitish at most angles but will also capture a translucent blue feel at other angles. Many people do not like this but it doesn't affect me negatively. These often take on this look.

BTW, all toning is colored light reflecting. All other colors are absorbed. Attached for your viewing pleasure is a 1974-S, PR69DCAM, Blue Ike. They do exist and the blue is probably haze, but they are blue. Now, whether the one you saw on Ebay is really blue, who knows?

282238-BlueIke.jpg.bb5454584e0a9d626f9f29ac6279e5be.jpg

very nice, purplish? thumbsup2.gif

It's dark blue with hints of pinkish/purple color here and there. I was going to attempt to sell it for another dealer, but my photographs just couldn't capture the colors as well as I would have liked.

very nice, purplish? thumbsup2.gif

It's dark blue with hints of pinkish/purple color here and there. I was going to attempt to sell it for another dealer, but my photographs just couldn't capture the colors as well as I would have liked.

Nice Ike.Has Braddick seen it? popcorn.gif

Speaking of blue Ikes...

What do you think of the one in the picture attatched?

Where did you get it? It looks very similar to a bunch of ATed nickels going around. shocked.gif

Well, I did ask for opinions...893scratchchin-thumb.gif
I like it and I don't care where it came from as long as it is holdered.

If you're interested in selling it, please, email me. I collect these kinds of Ikes.

Well, I did ask for opinions...893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you're interested in selling it, please, email me. I collect these kinds of Ikes.

I had a feeling ..... acclaim.gif

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

I don't care if it is real because I like it I can understand (and I personally believe).

I don't care because it slipped by some of the graders and got into a slab I cannot understand.

I don't care if it is real because I like it I can understand (and I personally believe).

I don't care because it slipped by some of the graders and got into a slab I cannot understand.

Why? I'm not asking with any tone to my voice. I'd be sincerely interested in your opinion Greg.

Why? I'm not asking with any tone to my voice. I'd be sincerely interested in your opinion Greg.

I just don't understand why someone would buy an AT coin once it is in a slab, but they wouldn't buy it outside the slab. It's kind of like, I know this coin is a piece of junk, but as long as it is slabbed and I can sell it easily I'll buy it. As long as it fooled the experts ONCE, it's OK.

If you like it buy it, but don't only buy it if you like it AND it is slabbed.

I know I'd like every one of my coins just as much if they were raw.

Thanks Greg, I appreciate your opinion. You are making an assumption though and that is of me believing it is AT in the holder.

It is one reason I like these toned Ikes in PCGS or NGC holders as it gives me one layer of "protection" (in a sense). If three Graders, unbiased and disinterested third parties, come to the party and claim the toning is real/authentic then I appreciate that more than if the same coin was in a flip.

I admire your position that, in or out of the holder, you like your coins the same.

Admittingly, that is not me. I appreciate some of these Contemporary coins beautifully toned MORE when they get the nod from seasoned Numismatists within the community (read: professional graders).

I don't believe that weakens my position but rather confirms it.

Well it came in the mail today. Finally. Surprisingly the coin is quite interesting. The obverse does infact have a light blue circle taking up the majority of the field, and evenly. The first half centimeter from the edge in is white and it forms an even ring around the coin. The ike portrait is light cameo and not the blue that surrounds it. The reverse has a centimeter wide light blue ring that runs around the whole coin.

I think this is the very beginning of what will be some spectacular toning. grin.gif Thus, I plan to leave it in all it's packaging as it was stored and let it color up. Maybe give it ten years and check back. I'd post pics, but I doubt I'll capture the color as it is weak and the lighting has to be right. laugh.gif

The 74-S Ike in particular is often found toned, much more so than other years of "brown box" Ikes. I don't know if it's something in the packaging that was different, or a wash at the mint, or what.

It even comes in a variety of different colors, from the usual haze, to nice blues, to mossy greens, to pale yellows.

Here's my favorite example of attractive blue..

pcgs0974336802810227.jpg

By the way, to the best of my knowledge these do not continue to tone in their holders... I think the impurities (whatever they were) were used up long ago and what you see is what you get. But feel free to report back and prove me wrong in 10 years. smile.gif

Congrats on the purchase! Still a lot of neat Ikes out there to be had on the cheap if you're persistent.

Here are a few other variations of gov't holder toning that you can often pick up for little or no premium (though not from me, if it's a nice one!):

pcgs0974336902810226.jpg

pcgs0974336702721852.jpg

pcgs0874336905493064.jpg

And a "Peacock hoard" example (not gov't holder toning):

pcgs0874336802810228.jpg