• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artificial Toning

3 posts in this topic

I read on your website that artificial toning on copper is probably irreversable, but that art toning on silver can sometimes we conserved. I sent my nicest art toned bust half in and it came back in a NCS holder with a details grade and maked art toning. I was charged for conservation but there was no explanation of any conservation efforts or why it could not be conserved. How am I supposed to know if I should send any of my other coins in? Shouldn't education be part of conservation?

Artificial toning on silver coins is often added in order to hide a further problem. Improper cleaning, scratching, repairs, or environmental damage is often the underlying problem. When a coin with questionable toning is submitted for professional conservation, it typically will not be conserved if there is a an underlying surface problem. An artificially toned coin is generally more attractive than a coin that is damaged.

Chris, NCS