• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'd like to hear grade thoughts on this merc - GRADE REVEALED

12 posts in this topic

It's always nice to see a coin through another set of eyes...

I'd love to hear grade thoughts on this merc I'm thinking about picking up from someone.

FYI: some of that stuff along the rims is from the holder.

Thanks!

EDIT: Grade revealed:

As of this edit, I got nine grade guesses between this thread and one I posted ATS. I got 1 vote for MS64, 1 for MS64FB, 6 for MS65FB, and 1 for MS66FB.

The coin was graded PCGS MS64FB in an old rattler holder.

For my part, I agree that the coin could almost certainly be upgraded to a PCGS MS65FB holder if resubmitted. I'm going by the nicks on the field of the reverse and some slight scuffiness on the torch for that assessment. I'm not totally convinced one way or the other about the weakness of the strike on the obverse mentioned by some. I think that the lighting may be a little misleading regarding that, but on the other hand, the hair does seem a bit flat, so I'll remain neutral on the issue.

I do like the coin, but at the I think am going to pass on it. My ideal coin would have a similar look, but I'm aiming for more of a MS66FB or at least a 65FB with a somewhat stronger strike if I can find one.

Thanks for all the thoughts!

1943_consideration.jpg

I would go 65fb due to damage between 2:00 and 3:00 O clock. Nice Coin

If you are talking about on the rim, next to the T, I believe that is part of the holder.

Not very familiar with these - are they normally weakly struck in the hair and front of the wing?

65 fb

I agree. The obverse die was becoming fatiqued and holds back the eye-appeal some, IMO.

Nice coin. (thumbs u

ok to me the obv looks week compaired to the rev. is this tipical for this yr? the weakness of obv looks like the rev should have more wear :) neet!

65 fb

I agree. The obverse die was becoming fatiqued and holds back the eye-appeal some, IMO.

Nice coin. (thumbs u

I agree. The die fatigue creates what appears to be a weak strike on the obverse, and limits it to 65 in my opinion. The reverse appears fully struck, however, so I am guessing it got FT. ( I use Full Torch for dimes, to avoid confusion with my Frankies which are Full Bell lines).

Late to the party as usual. The hair detail is a bit weak, probably due to die wear as previously stated. The bands are very close to full but look like they aren't quite there. It may be the picture and lighting but my first thoughts were that the luster looks muted, maybe from being over dipped.

Certainly not a rare coin so you are wise to wait for a nicer one.

If the color is really as it appears to be in the photo, my grade would be MS-64, full bans. The reason that I'm not calling it a 65 is that it appears to have been dipped with a somewhat washed out look.