• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rather than stating that "this is a rare coin in this grade"....

8 posts in this topic

.... doesn't it make more sense to say "this is a rare grade for this coin"?

The difference is subtle, but to me, it's an important one.

Perhaps even more accurate is to say "this is a rare grade for this issue".

Your thoughts, please?

It is semantics, James, but you make a good point.

To me rarity has two levels:

1. The overall rarity of the issue in ALL grades from MS or PR-70 to BS-1 or less.

2. The rarity of the issue in high grades of preservation.

If a coin is common as mud, like 2006 Lincoln, the impact of condition rarity is negated considerably IMO. And yes, the fellow who paid $15 grand for that late date Lincoln cent that PCGS graded MS-70, Red is out of his helmet so far I’m concerned. His a “lemming with highest honors” with a dose of Kool Aid thrown in for good measure. :screwy:

Good point, James! The problem with both statements is that neither addresses the total existing population for any particular coin.

As Bill suggested, a "modern" could have an existing population of 100 million, and if there is only one graded (say) MS70, it would be considered a rare grade. However, what would happen if one or more million were suddenly submitted for grading? The rarity factor could go right out the window.

The same could hold true for a, seemingly, rare coin. Let's assume that a particular coin has a known population of 25,000, but only 500 have ever been submitted for grading. What happens to the grade rarity if 10,000 are suddenly submitted?

Chris

Rather than stating that "this is a rare coin in this grade"....doesn't it make more sense to say "this is a rare grade for this coin"?

The difference is subtle, but to me, it's an important one.

Perhaps even more accurate is to say "this is a rare grade for this issue".

Your thoughts, please?

I don't agree....

To me, the first phrase, "this is a rare coin in this grade" equates to conditional rarity near the top of the grade scale -- for example an MS 68 Morgan or a MS 67 RB Liberty Cap ;) . The second phrase, "this is a rare grade for this issue" means just the opposite -- for example a PO-1 modern commemorative or an RB XF large cent (is there such a thing?).

Neither of these phrases should be confused with a truly rare coin, where grade doesn't affect rarity. Any of the NC large cent varieties and a 1913 Liberty Nickel being good examples.

Some examples that illustrate the difference between the meanings of the two phrases.

1895 dollar in PR-60. Is this a rare coin in this grade? Yes, (The 1895 dollar is a rare coin and yes it is PR-60.)

1895 dollar in PR-67. Is this a rare coin in this grade? Yes, (The 1895 dollar is a rare coin and yes it is PR-67.)

1895 dollar in PR-60. Is this a rare grade for this coin? No, (Although 1895 proof dollars are rare, many of the survivors are in or near this grade.

1895 dollar in PR-67. Is this a rare grade for this coin? Yes, (Very few of the survivors will grade this high.)

IMHO, a rare coin in this grade is somewhat meaningless with modern, common proofs. Example: I bought a 1992-S proof nickel five or so years ago when there were only (10) graded MS70. Now there are (109) graded MS70 by NGC, or 10x the number in 2002 when I bought the coin. This MS70 coin population at purchase in 2002, was ten years after issue. It is now (16) years after issue and the price of my nickel is about 40% of the price in 2002, with inflation and 10x population increase.

One could expect the 2006DC cent population will probably increase at least 10x over the next 15 years, making a poor investment return at $15,000. IMHO however, people that purchase these rarified level, graded moderns are not in it for the money as much as for the registry status.