• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900 Lafayette dollar opinion please

7 posts in this topic

I'd guess in the AU53-55 range and that the color is original. It looks as if there might be a reverse wipe above above the S in PARIS and the date. Perhaps there is evidence of a spot that was removed at one time?

I had some good things to say about this coin when I saw the picture of it across the street. But now that I’ve seen this picture of it, I have some reservations.

Sadly I think that there are too many hairlines in the field given the overall sharpness grade of AU. This would indicate that the coin was cleaned long ago and has now acquired the original looking toning that it now has. Sadly I don’t think that the major certification services would grade this coin. I’m sorry, it’s my opinion.

For reference here are pictures of an MS-63 that I have in my collection. You will note that the fields are smooth, like a Morgan dollar. One would expect to see some rubbing in the fields of an AU coin, but the fields in your piece appear to be a bit too “busy.”

LafayetteO.jpgLafayetteR.jpg

Later in the decade coins like the Buffalo nickel and to a lesser extent the Walking Liberty Half dollar did have fields that were intentionally matted so that they would not be as reflective. This was a characteristic of another generation, however, before the Lafayette dollar was issued.

This image is lighter than what you posted ATS, isn't it? The coin is still AU, but has hairline problems on the reverse.

Yes, I tried to lighten it so everyone can get a good look at it.