• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you into toned coins??

16 posts in this topic

Right now, I'd have to say my favorite toned coin is a 1983 Mexican onza which I accidentally left in an envelope for 12 years in the closet and only discovered 2 weeks ago.

Obverse

Reverse

I am into toned coins -- Peace $ that is. So far I'm 4 short of a complete date and mintmark NGC Registry Set --- my toned Peace $ set

As for my holy grail --- I'm looking for a original bag toned textile Peace $ with the textile pattern covering the entire obverse or reverse. I have a bag double crescent toned Peace $ with a hint of textile toning, which is rare for a Peace $, a complete textile toned example would be extremely rare.

Michael

a complete textile toned example would be extremely rare.

Extremely rare is an understatement. On a scale from one to ten, with ten being the rarest of the rare, I'd give it an 11. shocked.gif

I didn't like toned coins at first because they just looked like unkept terrible condition pieces of trash. However as I hang out more on the boards I can see there is a real art to finding nice looking toned coins. I don't have any yet but I am no longer against them if the look and price is right.

Chinook --- pics are coming, I just have to buy the camera first. It's hard to pony up $500 for a camera when you still need 4 coins to complete the set and 2 of them are the keys. I know as soon as I buy the camera, I'm going to find a 1928 with incredible toning and I won't have the $$$$.

Art -- I still think it's possible, the 23-S I have has a hint of textile toning embedded in one of the crescents. Some of these coins were kept in bags. I once saw what I thought was a textile toned Peace $ in a group of several hundred up for auction in a Goldberg sale awhile back. It wasn't MS and I wasn't about to buy 200 circulated Peace $ just to have it. But I know they are real, I just gotta find a nice one!

Michael

Michael:(FrattLaw)

I agree 100% that anything is possible. The only problem is that it normally will take in the area of 80+ years for a strong Textile effect to take place, and most of the Original Bags of Peace Dollars were opened and placed into rolls prior to this time frame, and one of the reasons that when found the textile will be a very faint impression. Who knows I am sure there are still some original bags of Peace Dollars out there some where. If the conditions are right and the bags have not been disturbed enough to shift the coins you may just come up with your Holy Grail.