• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does your wife, husband, or significant other contribute to your numismatic purs

18 posts in this topic

I am just curious as to whether or not your wife, husband, or significant other with whom you share finances support your purchases? Do they let you play or yell at you for just buying more coins? Also, do they help you find coins or assist you in any other ways? Any good stories? (bad or good) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My wife is quite patient in listening to my recounting of the coin shows that I go to and she is also quite understanding about buying coins. As for her interests, she had put together a gold type set, which I later sold for her and we put the money back into better coins, and she also likes very much small bronze plaques. This is great as I also like these plaques, so she ends up getting a few a year as gifts. smile.gif

That's very cool Tom. I can't even afford a gold type set. I personally tried to get my wife into coins, particularly to look thru my red book and find something attractive to her. Then I at the next show I planned to have her look at that coin and if she was still interested I'd let her go at it. But.....I'm still waiting for her to open the red book (for a year now). I won't push her though, if she doesn't want to, okay, more money for me.

She does occasionally come find me at the shows and lets me know where to go to help me work on my early commem., roosevelt dime, washington silver quarters, and franklin sets. She is very helpful that way. grin.gif

My (Ex)wife and I never agreed on much of anything concerning money, particularly coin collecting which she thought a waste of time and money. She didn't much care for or about my savings/investment strategies either, until she wanted her share (plus, plus, plus) during the divorce. Funny how that works! devil.gif

I personally tried to get my wife into coins, particularly to look thru my red book and find something attractive to her. Then I at the next show I planned to have her look at that coin and if she was still interested I'd let her go at it.

Careful - she'll undoubtedly select the nice, big $50 Pan-Pac round with the cute owl on it...

27_laughing.gif

Interesting thread and one I like to reply with my story. My wife and I basically started collecting coins together. I had an interest as a young kid from my Father. Anyway, my wife and I would go to the local shops, shows, and even go to the safe box and play with our coins. cool.gif

We were a team just as much in coin collecting as in any other part of life. It was always nice to have that 2nd opinion from my best friend. And believe it or not.... she would talk ME into buying a coin instead of the other way around. We couldn't afford much in those days about 20 years ago but enjoyed every minute of it.

I always enjoy writing this story as it is great memories. And sometimes those are more valuable than anything.

You probably notice I talk of my wife as past tense? Well I do because Cancer took her away but, the memories of all this and much more of course... PRICELESS. thumbsup2.gif

stman - Your story nearly brought me to tears. Sounds like your life with your wife was full and fun and lively, albeit far too short. Thank you for sharing. Glad you are with us.

Mark

My wife takes an oblique interest in my collecting. She wants to see pretty coins and wants to hear some of the stories behind them. Occasionally, for example, the night before last at the dinner table, she will ask me a question out of the blue. She asked me, "Why does the grading scale go from 1 to 70" Why not 1 to 100 or 50 or something that makes a little sense?" It was fun replying to her. But last night, she commented that my interaction with nickels was a little obsessive. I agreed whole-heartedly. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Thanks for all the kind words concerning my Wife. I always like to share this story because I hear soooo many folks mention how they have a hard time with their spouses concerning their hobby. So of course I feel a need to share what a treasure I once had.

I can share this with a smile (kind of) on my face these days. Been 12 years since her passing. I took a long absence from collecting and after getting back into the hobby after six months I found these boards.

If it had not been for these boards and all you great people to share Numismatics I probably wouldn't still be in the hobby.

On the other hand I would have a much healthier bank account. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif

stman,

I'm deeply sorry to read of your loss. Such a partnership is something to envy. I only hope that the wonderful times you had in some way mitigate her absence.

Sincerely,

Beijim

My wife's quite understanding.

She realizes all the important expenses are taken care of and doesn't much care how I spend the remainder. When big coins shows are held locally she'll help me save up, filling my car with gas, covering dinner or even occasionally greasing me with a couple of twenties.

She's actually quite fond of world coins and helps out with photography of them. When we visited the Smithsonian a few montha age they had a City View Thaler display and thinks I should buy a few of those.

-JamminJ

RobertB

I can relate to some fo the storie's already told.

Sometime's we(my wife and kid's) talk about coin's at the dinner table.I collect M.S. silver washington quarter's and my oldest daughter wil pipe out that she got a '32-D in change today. laugh.gif

And I'll ley my wife know of a certain upgrade or hole filler.

I try to keep them somewhat interested,because as I believe,over the past 4 year's my collection has "grown" substantially.So therefor, if something were to happen to me,my wife would have some idea what the value,and or significance of my collection would be.

In other word's not to be taken advantage of.

It's only common sense to know the value of any valuable!

Rob

My wife is very supportive . She also purchases coins for me to add to my collection . Christmas presents, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. I just make a want list of a dozen or so coins that I would like to have and the grade range for them. I never know which one I got until I open my present .

Stman,

Thank you for your post. Both of you were very lucky, as am I. My wife is very indulgent, and shares my interest, but does occasionally remind me that I am buying money and paying a premium. smirk.gif