• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893/93 Columbian Expo..IMAGES ADDED IN 4th POST!

10 posts in this topic

NGC will recognize any variety that is listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide. There is a listing in the CPG for a 93/93 RPD, FS-C50-1893-301. It has secondary images of both numbers to the north with the "3" being fairly significant.

According to the CPG, there is only a slight premium in grades EF-MS63, but in MS65, the values are the same for the variety and a normal strike.

Chris

Physics-fan...you wanted pics, you got pics. Keep in mind, I am not very good at all with imaging, with my little Sony Cyber Shot...and for the close-up of the overdate, had my trusty loupe on the lens...so, here ya go, and dont be afraid to criticize....I know its only to help me take better images...BUT, you CAN see the doubling on the '93....and theres an obverse and reverse image of the coin...if the images arent TOO bad, and you might want to play 'Guess the grade', be my guest.....here ya go!!

*edited to delete one close-up image of the date, was a bit too blurry....the over-date can clearly be see in the close up below, but can also be seen in the reverse image...oh, anything that appears to be lines, scratches or the like are purely on the slab..still alot of nice mint luster (which cant be seen due to my crapy pics)coming through, with some nice periphery golden toning (again, cant be seen in image)....enough of my jawing....here are the images*

columbian005.jpg[/img]

columbian014.jpg[/img]

columbian013.jpg[/img]

Chris,

I thought NGC would attribute any coin in the CPG, also. But when I questioned Pam Kesten about it, here was her response:

No, NGC does not attribute "any" coin attributed by the Cherrypicker's Guide. To view a list of coins that are recognized by NGC please go to the following link

http://www.ngccoin.com/VPCategories.aspx

This coin is not on that list, so I must assume that NGC would not attribute the coin. JMO

Jim

Chris,

I thought NGC would attribute any coin in the CPG, also. But when I questioned Pam Kesten about it, here was her response:

No, NGC does not attribute "any" coin attributed by the Cherrypicker's Guide. To view a list of coins that are recognized by NGC please go to the following link

http://www.ngccoin.com/VPCategories.aspx

This coin is not on that list, so I must assume that NGC would not attribute the coin. JMO

Jim

I reviewed the list of Commemoratives, and it is a bit confusing. The next-to-the-last sentence states that all commems in the CPG are accepted, but the last sentence states that only a handful of DD's and RPD's are included.

So which is it? All? Or just a handful?

A few years back, I asked a similar question in "Ask NGC" , and I was told that everything in the CPG was accepted, but I can't find the thread.

Chris

Just for everyone's info-I just posted another question in this regards for NGC's Variety Plus that should answer all our confusion. :frustrated:

I'll let all know what they say in a week or two. lol

jesbroken.....thanx for doing the legwork. I received something from Joiseygirl....NGC will NOT designate this item as an overdate (I dont understand, as the overdate on the 1893/93 Columbian is CLEARLY evident (even with my crappy pics you can see it)...but its their bat and ball and they can make the rules, or go home whenever they want. It's too bad they wont acknowledge this as I am ready to turn all my slabs into NGC slabs ( I am STILL of the mind that with all the nonsense going on in theTPG game, and where NGC has been taking a proactive stance in the hobby (counterfeit slab situation, for one), as well as being neutral (there is DavidHallRareCoins.....a company that ONLY sells ATS graded coins....who is on the board, owner, etc, of BOTH of those companies???....hmmmm, is David Hall Rare Coins saying there isnt ONE coin in an NGC slab worth selling? NOT ONE??? Is there ONE dealer that specializes/ONLY sells NGC slabs? No, so, I dont have to ask the next question -as far as who has thier hands in both cookie jars).

Lastly, can anyone tell me, IF I send this 1893/93 Columbian back to ANACS (man, does that ever seem like a toss of the dice at the table now, doesnt it? Which address would it ultimately wind up at in Colorado?), would I be able to request (and ultimately get it slabbed) in one of their older, small white holders? I would MUCH rather it be in one of those (those are STILL liked by many) if it HAS to stay in an ANACS holder.

anacs is now in denver so i beleive it will go there :)

and i believe you can send to ncs to make sure b4 ngc gets it. so you could send to ncs and if it wont get it they will send back. could some1 clerify that for me :)

As posted, I received the answer I expected from NGC regarding the overdate:

Dear Jim,

I have spoken with the Grader and the variety is no longer recognized by NGC.

Regards,

Pam Kesten

So, does this mean their could possibly be one out their with NGC's attribution?

Not cool.

Jim