• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I search for in rolls?

41 posts in this topic

This might be redundant for you folks, however I scowered the posts and didn't find anything to match my question. I appoligize in advance if this is redundant.

I just started working part time in a location where I handle a LOT of coins in and out of rolls. I know very very very little about coin collecting, but figure that if I handle this many coins there must be something worth while to look for. But what are good basic coins to look for?

Thus far I have found 0 Merc dime, 0 Buffalo Nickles, and a ton of wheat penny's. What else could I expect to find, or would I want to look for?

Sorry again for this as a first post.

Thank you,

Keith Smith

Any quarters, dimes and halves, 1964 and earlier, are silver. This is a good place to start. Others I'm sure will chime in with varieties that you could look for.

Welcome and happy hunting.

well wheaties you have the keys and the errors. 1955 dd obv,1909 vdb,1909 s vdb...

on the rest if you just wana search for specific goodies , the CHERRY PICKERS GUIDE is awsome info on lots of stuff. my friend works a kfc and when he does money/drawer he grabs the error notes for me. also what are you seeking? any certin types? errors? in each denomination there are "keys" and such.

One easy way to look for silver is to check the edges of the coins. Clad coins have a coppery brown/red edge, and the silver coins will have a silver/gray edge.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Wow,

I didn't expect such a quick reply! Thank you!

As an answer to ant I'm really not sure what I'm looking for. I just figured that there have got to be some goodies to be found in all of the coins that I see. In 2 weeks I have found about 100 wheats, but nothing else. Well I should say that I probably have found valuable coins but didn't know it. lol

Thank you again!,

Keith Smith

silver is best way to start then. at least you know it is worth the hunt. red book gives some info on errors and mintage and all, and cherry pickers guide is fun to work with. good luck on your hunt. and do you only do change or bills also. in paper money silver certs and star notes are good :)

SILVER for sure, so that 1964 and prior date is key!

What about bi-centennial quarters? I mean, nothing HUGELY special, but they are a re-design, rare in coinage, and I've come across silver ones in change before, stranger things happen, so I find it easier to just save them all and ask questions later.

While I was about to suggest that the 1965-1970 Kennedys are also silver-clad and thus have a chunk of silver to them, depending what you're doing (i.e. retail vs. banking or what-have-you), the likelihood of you getting Kennedy Halves in everyday use is probably slim to begin with since they aren't widely used. If you are in bank, searching rolls of Kennedys for silver ones is a great deal. Some harder to find Ikes maybe, but again, something you're not likely to see in change in stores.

At my financial institution, they often have rolls of Kennedy halves, even Ikes. I will, from time to time, get $50-$100 of Kennedy in rolls, just to take them home and search for silver. On good days, I get maybe one every other roll. ONE REALLY GOOD DAY, I got AN ENTIRE ROLL of 1964 Kennedy Halves! Someone must have been cleaning house and went to the bank with them, and their loss was my gain. I may keep a few of the non-collectible or non-silver and use for odd change purchases, to keep people wondering "What is this?" The rest, I return to he bank and just re-deposit -- it is money after all.

If you deal with any paper money (if it appeals to you too), you may be on the lookout for Silver Certificates, Blue Seal, or Red Seal notes -- those can be worth something to some people, depending on condition, and are just neat things to have especially when found at face value. I've gotten them in change.

i know i may be the only one to suggest this one yet but, i like susan b. anthony dollars. i have searched a few rolls recently, and found about 7 79" near date/ wide rim pieces. granted they bring nothing like moon money, but to sell a coin you get for $1, and sell it for 1000% profit, ya cant go wrong.

also any double dies, rpm's, i like stuff before 1995 but there is some newer stuff to check for aswell. i check any and every coin i touch. all of them.

good luck and happy hunting,.

What should you search for in rolls? Coins, of course! lol

You have already gotten some good suggestions. The CPG is a good source, but maybe you should wait until the 5th Edition, Volume 1 is released by Whitman before you think of buying the book. Volume 1 (of two volumes) is due out in a few months. One thing you must keep in mind is that you're not likely to hit the jackpot searching circulated coins. But still, it's fun!

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Chris

Welcome to the forum, Keith. :hi:

A word of advice - be careful. Sure, first you start out by looking at a few coins and hanging out on the coin forum. Then it progresses to subscribing to coin magazines and reading coin books. Before you know it, you're visiting dealers and - Heaven forbid - attending coin shows! And then you're hooked! What started as an interesting little hobby has become an obsession! YOU ARE ADDICTED!

Take heart, though, if it goes this far. We will be here to give you all of the support you need. :grin:

Welcome to the forum, Keith. :hi:

A word of advice - be careful. Sure, first you start out by looking at a few coins and hanging out on the coin forum. Then it progresses to subscribing to coin magazines and reading coin books. Before you know it, you're visiting dealers and - Heaven forbid - attending coin shows! And then you're hooked! What started as an interesting little hobby has become an obsession! YOU ARE ADDICTED!

Take heart, though, if it goes this far. We will be here to give you all of the support you need. :grin:

Who's addicted? I'm not addicted! I'm just waiting for silver to go over $350 an ounce before I cash in my 14,000 Morgans.

And, don't give me that old line about being in denial. That's only for alcoholics, and I only drink a little...........a little of this and a little of that.

Chris

hi, mine name is joe(not really, just an AKA). i collect us coins. & im an addict,

"god grant me the serenity to accept the thing I cannot change, courage to change the things i can, & wisdom to know the difference."

hehehe

(edited for spelling) i stink at spelling

I always suggest that the best way to find varieties is to put together a collection of the nicest examples you can find. Look for little wear and strong strikes.

This will not only show you what's easily available but what is not. It will also provide an excellent reference collection for comparing suspected varieties. The cost is quite nominal. Indeed, the folder for the cents will cost more than the coins in it. Even with the states quarters the cost is less than $75.

i know i may be the only one to suggest this one yet but, i like susan b. anthony dollars. i have searched a few rolls recently, and found about 7 79" near date/ wide rim pieces. granted they bring nothing like moon money, but to sell a coin you get for $1, and sell it for 1000% profit, ya cant go wrong.

I don't think that's weird at all, I am also a fan of the VERY short-lived Anthony Dollar. It didn't occur to me to mention it since it isn't something likely to be found in change, though again, if you're (if this poster) is in a banking situation, then rolls of dollar coins, including Anthony Dollars may show up.

Prior to the release of the Presidential series, I'd seek rolls of dollars, for fun using them, Sacagaweas -- but I'd often get SBAs mixed in with my rolls, or they'd have entire rolls of them. Some are worth searching, but I never found anything noteworthy on the SBA in the rolls. Still a fan of them though, because they ARE such a short-lived series, with the ever-so-odd revival 20 years later.

IMHO, the great interest in the Presidential Dollars could draw collectors to "dollar" collecting, and it may begin with recent, easier to find issues such as the SBA and the Ike Dollars, both of which I think are under-appreciated series and may come into their own as more collectors discover dollars! Then, of course, I imagine they will gravitate toward Peace and Morgans, but we'll see if there is any interest sparked in the Ike and SBA, two of my favorite modern series. Sure, I like the underdog.

Holly cow!

I had no idea that I would have so much info to sort through! lol

I did find a 1964 dime and a customer exclaimed "Isn't that one of those silver dimes?". I replied yes and he offered me $5 for it. I declined because it wouldn't be a collection without my first real addition to create the collection!

I did a quick search on the net for the silver certificates, red seals, and blue seals yet I'm having problems distinguishing them. Silver certs simply say at the top "Silver Certificate"? And what is the difference between the blue seal and silver cert? They look to me to be identical.

I did have yet another question also. I continuously find many nickels from 1964 - 1955. Are they valued similarly to the 1964 and older dimes/quarters? I found a 52 and a 55 tonight alone.

I guess the coin I'm after most is the Indian penny. I know I won't find one in a roll of penny's, but I'd like to aquire them. When I was pretty young my father gave me a tie clip that was a Indian penny set into gold. That memory means a awful lot to me.

I also have been trying to get my hands on the bicentenial quarters as my father has a afliction for those.

BULLY suggested the 1965 to 1970 Kennedy’s. I’d like to try to find some of those, but since we don’t have the halves at work would it be foolish to walk into my bank with $100 and ask for rolls of halves to look through?

Thank you again everyone!!!

Keith

I also have been trying to get my hands on the bicentenial quarters as my father has a afliction for those.

An affinity?

BULLY suggested the 1965 to 1970 Kennedys. Id like to try to find some of those, but since we dont have the halves at work would it be foolish to walk into my bank with $100 and ask for rolls of halves to look through?

Not too foolish. Every time I go to the bank I ask if they have any half dollars. They usually don't, but sometimes I come away with a roll or two.

An affinity is correct. :grin:

I've been up for 20 hours and the first thing I do when I walk through the door is turn on the computer to look up more info on coin's. lol

My father loves the 1976 Quarters. He's got aprox. 5 coffee cans full of them.

Just out of curiosity...... Do you ever come back from the bank with rolls of penny's, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc.? Or do you primarily look for the halves?

By the way thank you to everyone

I search through pocket change to fill my Whitman boards. I don't search for errors or oddities, although I do pull out old coins (silver, wheat backs, older nickels). I get halves and dollar coins from the bank for the same reason, to fill my boards. They're also fun to spend, as you almost never come across them in change.

I guess the coin I'm after most is the Indian penny.

Be especially alert for any 1877, 1909S or 1908S IHC's.

You can find these by the carload in bank boxes.

BULLY suggested the 1965 to 1970 Kennedy’s. I’d like to try to find some of those, but since we don’t have the halves at work would it be foolish to walk into my bank with $100 and ask for rolls of halves to look through?

The 65-70 Kennedy's are 40% silver. If you have a good relationship with your bank, you can have them order $500 boxes for you (the same goes for the quarters), and then take them back after you have gone through them. Sometimes you may not find any pre-71's at all, but you never know when you might hit the motherlode. One thing you will be sure to find, though, is lots and lots of Bicentennial halves. It would also be advisable to ask the bank if they can give you enough paper rolls and refill them yourself. They give them to me by the boxload. Make it a point to get to know all of the cashiers. In my case, whenever anything interesting comes into the bank, they let me know.

Chris

i just went through 260$ worth last month. they let me know if there are lots to go through. i love asking the bank for rolls and stuff. most dont care! dont be embarest to ask for them i have found some very kool coins from hunting bank coins. ive had friends ask for penny rolls from d mint all the time so i go get rolls alot. ive already got my name on a list for the new pennies when they come out. GET TO KNOW THE TELLERS!