• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multi-holders....

Multi-holder preference  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Multi-holder preference

15 posts in this topic

OK, so here's my poll. Multi-holders....strictly YOUR personal choice of the two (or if you dont care for them, there's a spot for that choice too). No cheating....you must cast a vote before you can view the top choice. Running for two days, to give plenty of time for those wishing to cast a vote. (Note: never was a fan of these, but now, not so sure, as the ASE 20th I have are in individual holders, and I am not sure if 'sets' such as these, the Baldies, etc, would look nicer-PRESENTATION wise-all in one, or individual). What say you???

Well ... lets just say PCGS was not thinking. They did not feel it necessary to assign a Number per coin BUT a number per Plastic.

How does one install a PCGS multi holder in ANY registry ... heheheheh ... I rest my case .. you cant.

I'm the only "niether" guy so far.

The trouble with these things is that I don't really need them for stuff like modern Proof sets and the like. The mint packages are just fine with me, and I actually prefer modern coins in the original mint holders.

If I were to have an old Proof set (prior to 1936) put into one of these holders, the only way I would consider it would be if it were a TOTALLY original set that had matched toning. Such sets are numismatic treasures and too many of them have broken up as single coins. An assembled set would be a pain in the butt because you could not sell the set in pieces. In the case of assembled Proof sets, the peice parts can be worth more than the whole. In the case of original Proof sets the entire set does (or should) command a premium over the piece parts.

I'm the only "niether" guy so far.

The trouble with these things is that I don't really need them for stuff like modern Proof sets and the like. The mint packages are just fine with me, and I actually prefer modern coins in the original mint holders.

Excuse me :) .. Your are talking to the PROOF coin Multi Holder Master ... But both instances you have mentioned exist. ALL MY proof sets are from Original Proof Packages ( I have had them for many years ) and are in mulit holders. I also have coins in these that are worth WAY more than the set it self .

ie

1957 50C PF 69 NGC 2510795-005

1967 5C MS 69 NGC 2511528-003 SMS

1964 50C PF 69* CA NGC 2511513-005

I will not separate them as they are not going anywhere soon :)

I like NGC multi-holders, especially when someone assembles a collection that doesn't usually come in a multi-holder.

I like the NGC multi-holder better than their single holder because it uses a translucent gasket. It would be great if they moved to something like that for their single holders. Something should be done to prevent small coins from getting lost in the shadow.

I have never seen a PCGS multiholder. Does someone have an image of one?

Scott :hi:

See Tedssupply's message in the NGC Registry area

He Posted one

Poll is academic, try getting anything into a PCGS multi coin holder. Unless you are a big time bulk submitter or "know" someone you can't do it. They don't list them, the official line is that they don't do them, people who ask to have them are told they can't get them, yet new ones still show up from time to time. So someone has the proper connections to get them done.

Poll is academic, try getting anything into a PCGS multi coin holder. Unless you are a big time bulk submitter or "know" someone you can't do it. They don't list them, the official line is that they don't do them, people who ask to have them are told they can't get them, yet new ones still show up from time to time. So someone has the proper connections to get them done.

Do you have a web site that lists all the SLAB styles and types somehere that you have amassed ... I would be interested in seeing it.

MIke

I believe it takes a "bulk" submission (ie...at least 100 submission pieces) to qualify to get the multi-holder (think state quarters.....and many of them) for PCGS

If that was all it took there would be a lot more PCGS multi coin holders out there.

Is there a website? No. There is a book (now out of print) and there used to be threads ATS that showed the NGC and PCGS slabs but those are "broken" now with many missing images. I've been uploading images to a new host so I can recreate them here. I'll get it created one of these days. I think I've been going at it wrong though. I planned to have it all together before I created the threads. I'm beginning to realize that if I do that they will never get done. So I'll see about starting the NGC thread tomorrow and just edit it as needed and I add more slabs.