• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's in the C of America? (big pic)

9 posts in this topic

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of this Vermont but spent some more time looking at the pics. It looks like there is something inside the C of America. Almost looks like a part of a small "T" or something. I don't see anything on the reverse that would coincide with it. Any ideas? Stuff like this really intersts me... maybe I need to seek mental health assistance :)

vermont2obv.jpg

My advice is wait until you receive it, as we all have learned, can't tell accurately from a photo, too many shadows, toning, lighting issues etc. I know it is hard but you will have to wait any way to know in the end. Now get back and start looking at what you do have in hand.

My advice is wait until you receive it, as we all have learned, can't tell accurately from a photo, too many shadows, toning, lighting issues etc. I know it is hard but you will have to wait any way to know in the end. Now get back and start looking at what you do have in hand.

The only thing I have "In My Hand" right now is my butt.... Watching the market futures makes me think I'm going to lose it tomorrow... :jokealert:

Exactly.You have to have the coin in hand to see what is happening. From the picture it looks like the coin was cleaned badly and then somebody tried to straighten it out and couldn't get the edges.

Exactly.You have to have the coin in hand to see what is happening. From the picture it looks like the coin was cleaned badly and then somebody tried to straighten it out and couldn't get the edges.

Well I can honestly say that "that never occured to me" when looking at the coin to buy... and after now having purchased the coin... "it still doesn't occur to me". I do appreciate your opinion though; I just don't concur with it.

Richard,

I'll repeat what everyone has already said, "Wait and see!", except I'll give you an example why. About a year ago, I purchased an 1872 Liberty Seated Dime with an oddity through the date-looked exactly like an arrow imprinted on the coin below the date and through the lower side. I would have bet money on it. The picture below shows what I was looking at(the arrow appeared to go from middle lower right below the 8 and through the one to the upper left). I was told by a top coin collector that it was probably just some toning that looked like an arrow-even after he had seen the photos. I thought he had lost his mind! Then I got the coin and under magnification the second photo shows what was there-nothing but scratches and some toning. Great luck with your purchase-be patient and don't discount anything until you get the coin. Jim

1872closeup-1.jpg

18upclose.jpg