• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does NGC encapsulate/grade proclamation coinage?

18 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. I picked-up a nice, 8 Reales-sized proclamation piece from Peru in the recent Heritage sale and was wondering if NGC/NCS would encapsulate it. If not, does anyone know the company that would?

Thanks in advance,

~Roman.

P.S. Here's the coin in question: (Large Image)

When a new ruler assumed the throne, coin-sized medals were issued to commemorate the occasion. The sizes corresponded to currently-circulated denominations (a lot of the times the same blanks were used as for circulating coinage) and these "coins" stated the name of the new ruler and the date of the coronation. A lot of these had very elaborate designs, featuring lots of symbolisms. Most did not have a denomination stated on them, though.

If they do, it may not be a bad idea to start with NCS to see if any conservation may be possible, to "jazz up" the piece, to see if it would grade better -- just a thought if it is potentially higher value, AND if you think the piece has some potential for improvement.

You may read about NCS' services here:

http://www.ncscoin.com/

NCS would also tell you up front if there was anything wrong with it (damage, improper cleaning, etc. -- anything that might constitute a no-grade situation with NGC, that is, for something they WOULD ordinarily grade).

In those cases, NCS can encapsulate items either as "Genuine" or with a "Details" grade like "XF - Details" without a numerical grade. However, I am guessing if NGC doesn't encapsulate it, NCS wouldn't either since they are sister companies (and in the same building I believe). NCS does encapsulate things NGC doesn't when it comes to damage and their "no-grade" reasons such as cleaning, PVC damage and so on.

Gorgeous piece. I seem to recall seeing several pieces of proclamation coinage from the Americas certified by NGC. A phone call would confirm.

Hoot

Hello, everyone. I picked-up a nice, 8 Reales-sized proclamation piece from Peru in the recent Heritage sale and was wondering if NGC/NCS would encapsulate it. If not, does anyone know the company that would?

Thanks in advance,

~Roman.

P.S. Here's the coin in question: (Large Image)

The answer should be "Yes". I have a 1789 Peru Proclamation 4 Real graded NGC A-50. (It is the size of an 8R also.) It is Fonrobert 8942 and it is for the crowing of Charles IV. A really sharp and eye appealing specimen. Yours is probably for Ferdinand VII as I did not check your URL. I have not seen many of these in an NGC holder but you should be safe even though I do not believe this is listed as eligible type by NGC. There are also many British medals that I have seen NGC graded and probably other European medals are also in NGC holders..

Thank you for the input, World Colonial and Hoot. I'll be sending it in shortly :) Do you have a picture of that 4 Reales? Is that the one with Carlos IV on horseback?

Cheers,

~Roman

No, Fonrobert 8942 has the Spanish Royal Crown on the observe with the coat of arms of Leon and Castille; The quartered lions and castles. The reverse has what looks to be two eagles holding a globe below a crown surounded by the Pillar of Hercules (similar to the Pillar dollar) on ocean waves. Check lot #52003 from the recent Heritage sale for an image.

Ah, I see now. It's the size of the 8 Reales? At 13.5 grams that would make it half the thickness in that case. Neat piece! I was also bidding on the 50380, which is a gorgeous design, in my opinion.

This is the only one I own. I bought it on eBay about five years ago for $125, a real bargain. I like these medals very much and I think they are undervalued or at leas tthey appear to be compared to 8R coins. I would like to buy more but simply cannot fit them into my budget.

Also, if my specimen is any indication, the grading is stricter. Mine has light wear but I think it is better than an AU-50.