• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1804 Half Cent grade and value please

8 posts in this topic

I'd TPG it at XF details, cleaned/recolored, net F.

EAC would likely be tougher.

I'd value it about $50-75.

Cool coin regardless. Over 200 years of history in that one!

All IMHO and respectfully submitted...Mike

The die variety is C-10. The diagnostics are a large, upright crosslet “4” that is higher than the “0” that almost touches the bust combined with the large “bar” that connects the “R” in “AMERICA” with the rim on the reverse. This is the most common crosslet 4 with stems (at the bottom of the wreath on the reverse) variety that does not have the spike chin. It is rated as an R-1, very common as a variety.

The sharpness grade is EF, but the coin appears to have been cleaned and then recolored with the aid of sulfur. The color is unnatural. It also has a “notch” at 9:00 o’clock on the reverse that is not mint caused. For these reasons the leading grading services would not grade it. My guess is the wholesale would be around $75 to $80 and retail would be around $100. As a problem coin, it would not be the easiest coin to sell, but there are not a lot of these coins left on bourse floors any more.

Thanks to you both, I will refuse the coin as it is worthless for the grade to me. I have 100% return rights with this seller and as I have not paid for it yet I will refuse the coin. Thanks again.

Jim

I'd TPG it at XF details, cleaned/recolored, net F.

That sums it up. Very smart of you to return it. :cool: One should never pick up the bad habit of settling for problem coins.

I'd net it down to VF, not F. The coins of this type that get graded Fine these days look like something the cat laid on your back step. By the way the roughness in the fields is normal. The dies were improperly stored and rusted in the humid Philadelphia air. It adds something to the charm of the coin.

If you see blue / purple color like that on 19th Century type (copper, nickel or silver, don't know anything about gold), you are looking at a problem coin,. If it's in a first tier slab, chances are very good that the grader was not having a good day.