• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does submissions with coupons take longer?

13 posts in this topic

I submitted coins earlier this year and used my five free Early Bird coupon for renewing. They were received on 1/2. Today would be the 12th day. I had a modern order received the same time and received them three days ago and they say Modern is at 15 days.

Something just doesn't sound right to me. I guess I am just being impatient.

My Early Bird is still in Scheduled for Grading. rantrant

It is 15 Business days and I believe that everyhting is taking a little longer than the Normal Estimated time.

Today is the 5th day my Economy Tier has been in "Scheduled for Grading".

My previous two did not take that long in "Scheduled for Grading".

According to their published guidelines "Scheduled for grading means they have reached that phase in the process and will be taken on a first come first out basis to other equivalent tiers" so I suspect they are a little swamped and it could take longer than usual.

Ok, then explain this. My Early Bird submission went into Scheduled for grading first and then several days later my Modern went into Scheduled for grading.

Early Bird is at 12 days and Modern is at 15 days. I have already received my grades for my Modern submission but nothing for the Early Bird.

I had a similar thing happen recently. I had three orders in a few weeks apart. The third one and the last one I sent in was for the $5.00 AGE 1/10 ounce gold and it was the first to gp ot.I am not sure yet wheter it was Modern or not.I asked and didn't hear anyhting so I sent it in to NGC. Even though it is Gold the date is after 1955 so it is considered Modern for the date alone. I thought that Gold up to $300.00 was considered Economy.

Don't know as I got the Gold back fast and I was happy. Then the Very first was sent to me after being in Scheduled for Graing for two days and Quality Control for one day.

The Middle batch and the one now left has been in Scheduled for Grading for 5 days and is Economy.Tier.

The Estimated Tome for Economy is 21 Business days and the real time for Economy is now 25 Business days. This means that Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays do not count.

Take the day it arrives in Ngc and start counting the next day.Just count 25 Business days which is Monday through Friday with no Holidays until you reach 25 for Economy. I don't know about Early Bird. You would have to look at the real number of Business Days and Count.

Then NGC says that once Coins have been "scheduled for Grading" that it is a first come first out basis for that tier.".If you have a thousand people ahead of you fro grading then you will be 1001 so if there are a lot of Coins then it will take more time.

I would think that with 2008 and the release of the 2008 Silver Eagles that there would be a lot of those coins in there for Grading etc.

Is the real timje for Modern still 15 days or has it been extended for 4 Business days like the Economy. If your Modern got thereon a Monday and your Early Bird got there on a Friday then there would be 2 days(Saturday and Sunday that did not count so by Monday of the next week your Modern would have been there for 5 days and your Early Bird for 0 days.

Then you have to look at how many people were ahead of you for Modern and Early Bird. Might have been a hundred for Modern and a thousand for Early Bird.

Ok, I understand all about the counting of the days, etc. I had three orders received on 01/02 which was a Wednesday.

One order was Gold Rush which was five days and got them in five days.

Second order was Early Bird which is 12 days. So today would have been the 12th business day. This order has been in Scheduled for Grading for a week.

Third order was 20 2001 Kennedy's. They went into Scheduled on the 14th and on the 15th they went to QC. On the 16th I got the grades.

Here is my original thread:

Latest submission to NGC

"A covered pot boils faster"

I know, I like being able to track submissions but at times they make me impatient. All well, we will just have to wait and see when they get graded.

sometimes I almost think that they just stack all of the submissions in a pile and some person just grabs them randomly and hands a batch to a grader.

My last submissions-::-a world submission that took 31 business days; and a 5 coin submission to US coins which I got back in 10 business days from date received (including shipping back)...go figure

Then again, I can fully insure $1000 worth of coins for $8 and have it there in 2-3 days via USPS priority, yet they charge me $25 for registered and it takes 7-10 days to ship.....again, go figure

Then again, I can fully insure $1000 worth of coins for $8 and have it there in 2-3 days via USPS priority, yet they charge me $25 for registered and it takes 7-10 days to ship.....again, go figure

I think you'll have to blame that on the USPS. I just sent Mike (jgrinz) a double-wide NGC shipping box via registered mail, and it went from South Florida to Massachusetts in two days.

Chris

Then again, I can fully insure $1000 worth of coins for $8 and have it there in 2-3 days via USPS priority,

That's pretty good if you can do it. Insurance alone for $1,000 is $10.90 (600 - 5,000 is $7.30 plus .90 for every $100 or fraction thereof over $600. So insurance for $1,000 is $7.30 plus 4 X.90 or $3.60 total $10.90) plus a minimum of $4.60 for Priority. Minimum cost for $1,000 Priority insured should be $15.50. Registered Priority insured to $1,000 can be done for $16.90 if the weight is over 13 oz and under 32 oz. Registered insured for $1,000 is even less if if it is under 13 oz.

As I mentioned earlier I have had an Economy Tier in "Scheduled for Grading" since the Start of last Monday so this would be a week.

If you are a paid member and when you log on to Collectors society here there is a section under "Gradings and Submissions" that give an Estimated Time for each Tier. Right next to ti there is the Actual Time. I belive the Modern has remained the same. Last I checked the Economy has been extended 4 business days.

Your Kennedys are Modern Tier. Economy has benn extended from 21 to 25 Business days and then you have to compete with others in the Economy tier on a First come first out basis according to NGC so I would take the delay in Grading to be the result of a mass of Economy Submissions.

I am not sure of Early Bird and the coupon. If the 5 submissions with the Coupon are ones that normally would be considered Modern tier then perhaps they would be on a First come first out basis compared to other Moderns with a Coupon but before Early Bird and Coupon with 5 Morgans which are normally Economy class.Or maybe all Early Bird with coupons are treated on a First come First out basis. You would have to ask NGC on this part.

Either way it will depend on the number of people that got their Submission there before you.

Dwaine,

How hard do you think they look at each individual Modern coin? With no long term storage events to worry about and harder metal than the older(silver/copper) coins, I figure they blow through them pretty quickly. I doubt they ever have to say,

"hey, come look at this and give me your opinion" to their supervisors, just one quick look under the microscope and zing out it goes. JMHO