• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 With Arrows Liberty Seated Coins-Grade and value help please

7 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of Liberty Seated coins I received today and would like you to look at them and give me your opinions as to their grade and value. The first is an 1853 w/arrows and rays Liberty Seated Quarter. The second is an 1853 w/arrows Liberty Seated Half Dime. Thanks to all who respond-Jim

1853Warr_raysLSQ.jpg

1853w_ArrLSHDinhand.jpg

The 1853 quarter grades VF-25 and has a Gray Sheet bid/ask price of $35/$38. You should get a bit more than that for it, perhaps $40 because the piece appears to be original and not cleaned or dipped. Many of these coins have been stripped of their original surfaces.

The 1853 dime probably grades AU, although it's hard to grade it because you can't see the luster from a photograph. There is a stain between the top two leaves in the wreath, which could be a minor distraction. An AU example of this type has a bid/ask range of $210 to $230.

If the coin has no luster it would fall closer to EF. The range there is $100 to $110.

Please remember that I have quoted wholesale numbers here. Retail prices are higher.

Looks to me like Bill pretty much nailed it - but, I will say that I really like both of them, especially the quarter. I have been in love with that reverse since the first time I saw it. :luhv:

Hi.

I was going to be a little tougher on the quarter, maybe a VF 20 but I can live with 25. The weakness on the scroll and LIBERTY I thought brought the grade down slightly. I agree with the AU for the half dime. 2 nice coins and like Bob said, they look "un-messed-around-with".

RI AL

I agre with Bill's grade assesment but not his value assesment for the "dime", since it's a half dime. Interestingly, the value of the half dime is about half of what Bill quoted for the dime.