• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know where a used copy of Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins could be purchased? The new price is out of my current budget. Or a copy of a good Bust dime book 1796-1837? Either would satisfy my library. I have most all of Breen's books on cents/half cents/US&Colonial Proofs,etc. I am also in need of a good Liberty Seated Half Dime book. Should anyone know the whereabouts of used copies of these books I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. Jim

Breen's Encyclopedia is (finally) out of stock. Copies appear regularly on eBay and are probably available from the numismatic booksellers (Kolbe, Davis, etc.). You might be able to luck into a gently used copy, although prices shot up after it went out of stock. Be careful of used copies, though, the binding on this book falls apart fairly easily.

There's only one book on Bust Dimes (from the JRCS) and it has been out of stock for a while. Copies appear in numismatic book auctions and, occasionally, on eBay. There are two copies in Charlie Davis' upcoming auction .

(The E-Sylum weekly e-mail - available free from the Numismatic Bibliomania Society - contains notices of upcoming numismatic book auctions, if you're interested.)

How much are the used copies bringing? I have a gently used copy and it didn't take long for the binding to break. Very poor quality manufacturing. If you can find a new copy, plan on the binding to break unless you plan to never open the book. Wouldn't it be great if this book came out as a second edit with the various experts undating their areas of expertise?

Pick a number from $95 to $310(the former no longer available). I only wanted it for the Bust dimes info so I'll probably get that elsewhere. Thanks

The big problem with Breen's Encyclopedia as well as his half cent book is that the pages have fallen out of many copies. :( I don’t know what the problem was with his publisher. hm

I was aware of these mentioned problems with Breen's book, and have been very careful through the years. Mine's in terrific shape, despite the fact that I refer to it frequently. I guess the trick is not to force it open too wide.

Some Breen Encyclopedias are worse than others. Mine started to fall apart almost from the day I bought it. A coin dealer I know has one he uses all the time and the pages are as tight as a drum. hm Most paperback books are better made than the Breen book I've got. :frustrated:

The big problem with Breen's Encyclopedia as well as his half cent book is that the pages have fallen out of many copies.

While I have been through two copies of the US and Colonial book and both copies fell apart, my copy of the half cent book has seen a lot of hard use since I got it in 1983 and although the cover is a little loose none of the pages have come out. I have never seen a copy of the half cent book that has had any of the pages fall out. The half cent book was a much higher quality book and was put together with a much better binding method. There is no comparison between the two. The US and colonial book is basicly a paperback with a hardcover (binding held together by glue) while the half cent book is done with a folded and sewn binding with high quality coated paper.

I will echo those who write that it is not a certainty that the pages will become loose or fall out of the Breen encyclopedia. I've had my copy for 13-years and have always treated it gently. Thankfully, the binding is still tight, the cover is not loose and the pages are secure.

Some Breen Encyclopedias are worse than others. Mine started to fall apart almost from the day I bought it. A coin dealer I know has one he uses all the time and the pages are as tight as a drum. hm Most paperback books are better made than the Breen book I've got. :frustrated:

I would like to note something else, concerning the Overton book. As much as I refer to Breen, I use Overton probably ten times as often, and despite how careful I've been there, that book is starting to see serious deterioration. A couple of pages have come loose. So I guess there is a point at which you can use a book "to death" :( .

Neither my Breen cent book or half cent book show any intentions of loosening up, and my overton book which has the most use of any in my small library has held up brilliantly. My Breen US and Colonial Proof book is perfect but has not really been used only perused at odd times.

After my coin sale in March, I'll purchase the Bust Dimes book by JRCS and then concentrate on the Liberty Seated Half book. Thanks for the responses-all.

By the way, Brooklyn Gallery has the Logan, et. al., Liberty Seated Half Dime book (and the Valentine book).

I think there's also a third half dime book, but BG doesn't seem to have it anymore.

If it's the Wiley/Bugert Seated Half Dollar book you want, however, it's also out of stock. There's one on eBay right now, though.