• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Bald Eagle thread without hosing the mint.....

8 posts in this topic

Has there been any discussion (whether here or ATS) in regard to doing a special 'pedigree' or something to that effect, in regard to the 3 piece proof set? With a mintage of 25,000, one might think something could be in the works, but I havent noticed mention of it on any homepage.....come on guys, someone has to be in the 'know'....overheard something in the mens room......scribble on a discarded cocktail napkin? hmmmm?

There is very little desire and very few collectors interested in this issue (especially a specially labelled set). This is why they will not be doing something like this, as opposed to the ASEs, which are very popular and highly collected.

Very little desire for the bald eagle sets? Is that why there are about 6-10 journals from Collectors' Society members on the subject of trying to get them?

Is that why the Mint literally decided to shut down its web site for fear of it crashing their new service provider the day the coins went on sale?

Is that why when calling, the phones were SO very busy, for hours and hours, you didn't even get put on hold, you just got a recording saying they were TOO busy, call back later?

Is that why they have a limit of one set per household?

I beg to differ, I think collectors are WIDELY interested in these Bald Eagle coins, and especially the three piece set.

I think the set would be MORE appealing if NGC would do a special designation/holder for the three piece set, and it boggles my mind why they are resistant to that. rantrant

In recent years I have been VERY disappointed that the mint did not offer multi piece sets of their commemorative coins. When they are selling the double sets in wooden boxes, it was something special, like a “poor man’s” Pan-Pac set. But then they started selling the coins only as single pieces. :(

Maybe it has had something to do with the fact that on the Gray Sheet, the coins as single pieces bid for more than the same coins in sets. (shrug)

At any rate one set is back, but the mint has placed a unfair premium on it. ($344.85 for the three single coins vs. $369.95 for the 3 piece set.) I don't think that the mint will sell 25,000 of those sets, which might lead to them to lower the limit to 10,000 sets for the next commemorative issue. :frustrated:

Look, we are all taxpayers, and the mint should treat us decently. There show be NO GAMES like this "limited edition" garbage that gives instant profits to those who are lucky enough to get through their web site or those with special deals that have coins handed to them out the back door. If something turns out to be good, it should be because few people ordered it. Prime examples: the Smithsonian and Jackie Robinson coins.

BillJones, how right you are man, about letting the PUBLIC decide/determine what becomes the next Jackie Robinson coin (man, I was a bit younger then, and way more broke, but boy, if I could jump in that DeLorean and fill the Mr. Fusion and head back to '97....). That mintage for the MS Jackie Robinson is just crazy insane low......5,174, for the ENTIRE course of the program...one year (and lets not forget, what was gold back then, averaged perhaps less than $280 an ounce for the entire year (man, REALLY would love to find those DeLorean keys NOW!!! lol)? Just defies logic! As an aside, can anyone tell me what the Mint allowed for total max mintage for that $5 Jackie Robinson? Thanx!

An interesting fact about the Jackie Robinson coins was that the ordering time for them was extended by six months. Collectors were really steamed about that because the mint changed the rules in the middle of the stream. It did not make a difference, however. The sales of the coins were disappointing to the mint and the party that received the surcharge money, even with the six month extension.

An interesting fact about the Jackie Robinson coins was that the ordering time for them was extended by six months. Collectors were really steamed about that because the mint changed the rules in the middle of the stream. It did not make a difference, however. The sales of the coins were disappointing to the mint and the party that received the surcharge money, even with the six month extension.

'Tis just another thing to admire about Bill--His knowledge not only rocks on early Federal Coinage but he even knows about modern commems. Hey, what more could a boardster ask for? (thumbs u