• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Multi Holder Help

18 posts in this topic

Speaking of multi-holders, is it not true that multi holders can be made per customer wants? I recently saw ATS a multi-holder with, I believe it was a civil war theme. If that is the case, couldnt a multi-holder be specially requested to put the 3 coin Baldie set in? Not sure of the specifics, as I have never really had a desire to inquire about one, as quite frankly, I dont think there are many times I would want to see one (excepting, perhaps, the 20th Anniv sets, silver, gold and plat...but they had their own special sets anyway). Sooooooooo, WOULD, COULD it be something that could be arranged for the Baldie set (I wouldnt expand beyond the special packaged 3 piece proof, unless the other options, such as YN set, coin/medal-but thats cheesy too with a medal that was minted what, three years ago?), should the submitter wish it to be done? A straight answer would be nice, then comments/discussion about why/why not its a good/bad idea. Thanx....TheMightyDuke!!!

Speaking of multi-holders, is it not true that multi holders can be made per customer wants? I recently saw ATS a multi-holder with, I believe it was a civil war theme. If that is the case, couldnt a multi-holder be specially requested to put the 3 coin Baldie set in? Not sure of the specifics, as I have never really had a desire to inquire about one, as quite frankly, I dont think there are many times I would want to see one (excepting, perhaps, the 20th Anniv sets, silver, gold and plat...but they had their own special sets anyway). Sooooooooo, WOULD, COULD it be something that could be arranged for the Baldie set (I wouldnt expand beyond the special packaged 3 piece proof, unless the other options, such as YN set, coin/medal-but thats cheesy too with a medal that was minted what, three years ago?), should the submitter wish it to be done? A straight answer would be nice, then comments/discussion about why/why not its a good/bad idea. Thanx....TheMightyDuke!!!

Straight answer - YES

:)

51307-20th.jpg.702b3961f07d40404ad1b01c95ad08f4.jpg

jgrinz...that is exactly what I was talking about, HOWEVER, you show it for the 20th Anniv.....whether they were holdered individually, or in a multi-holder, the designation was ALWAYS going to be attributed on whichever holder was chosen by the submitter. Am I to understand, by your 'straight answer-YES' that I could theoretically send in my 3 piece proof set (obviously would have to be sent in unopened for them to know its a TRUE, ORIGINAL 3 piece set) and have the holder designated that, indeed it IS from one of the 25,000 sets? Or, is this something I would have to take up with CS, or....?

*Keep in mind, I understand that perhaps NOONE has a definitive answer to my specific question, in regard to it being noted on the slab. I am just looking to use past knowledge of those who have submitted to NGC.....obviously, I have never submitted to NGC before, but given the turn of events with ANACS/ICG, PCI being auctioned off lock, stock and barrell, I see a HUGE opportunity for NGC to take up some of the long standing slack between them and PCGS, and I look for $$ spreads to tighten. This is all contingent upon NGC realizing the opportunity that is knocking at the door and letting it in...for instance, now that ANACS/ICG has the QVC contract, or HSN, or whichever station it is (and now that ShopAtHome, with Robert Chambers, is getting the boot from JewelryTV-even though, SilverTowne will still submit loads, I dont see them needing to submit HUGELY now that their main venue is going to be off the air) that NGC tighten up now (hell, even undergrading-not talking intentionally, but just being a bit more stringent- can garner a CAC sticker, and right there, begins to reel in some of the aforementioned slack), not give out 70's at the current level (unless, of course, its ultra modern and the coin makes it on its own merit). What say you? (or, should I put some 'buca in my next 'Great One' from D2?

I am sure you can put what you want on the holder - If that is what you mean .. And on thier Info page tells you what they can and cannot 'fit' into one. This example doesnt have any special labelling but is similar to what you wanna do I think.

51309-ngcplategoldrushmore.jpg.eceb378db0e8f2675592925444f35b79.jpg

Gee... I didn't know that PCGS did multi-holders! hm

Can you post a picture? I would like to see it!

Scott :hi:

2002set2.jpg

2002set1.jpg

Not the best images but........

jgrinz....thats exactly what I want to do. Now, the only thing is do I want to send them off to NGC, or ATS....I know it wont carry any special premium (at least not until one of the TPG's decide to designate the Baldies...either way, it matters not, as it's just a personal personal choice...). I have seen many NGC multi-holders on the market, but not many PCGS multi-holders. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to 'rally the troops' and back a movement to have the Baldies proof set specially designated, I just think it would be neat to have them all together in one holder. One final question regarding this.....in EITHER case (NGC or PCGS) would all three coins have consecutive cert #'s? I noticed on the PCGS Statehood quarter set there is but ONE cert #....is that SOP for PCGS (where NGC has individual certs)?

With NGC there would be no MOVEMENT involved as you can create whatever goes in the holder - AS for Labels that would have to be discussed aforehand with NGC - as long as its an unopened package, I am sure they will put what you want.

As Tedsupply is finding out there is no way to install a Multi Holder in the NGC registry as it only assigns one number to the holder ( Which is dumb, your slabbing the coins which needs numbers NOT the plastic )

NGC assigns a Number per coin in each of thier holders in order usually

xxxxxxxx-(001-003)

Unless PCGS has changed their mind about multi-holders, I think you can only get them on bulk submissions. I inquired about doing just one, and they never even bothered to answer my email. Go NGC, they're way easier to deal with, and they will do them 1 at a time, not 500 or whatever the minimum PCGS submission is for BULK.

The first word that came to mind was "fugly!" I think this is one of those times that a clear holder does not work. And the label is obnoxious. I know what they wanted to do, but the execution is... well... the designer should be the one executed!!

Scott :hi:

I think NGC has answered (on one of these boards) the fact that they are NOT offering any special certification for the Bald Eagle commemorative coins 3-piece set.

You MAY still have them put into an NGC Multi-Holder, but unlike the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle set shown in this forum, I suspect it won't say Bald Eagle Commemorative Proof "SET" -- I think the last word is what NGC will omit from the holder that they will gladly make for you, similar to what you see on the set for the 1991 Mount Rushmore coins pictured in this forum, notice it does not refer to them as a "SET."

Assuming your coins are submitted at the same time, on the same invoice, your serial numbers from NGC are consecutive. They don't list each individual serial number, but do it as a from and through. For instance, if your invoice number was 1234567, to make your serial number start with 1234567 accordingly, and you had a 3-piece multi-holder, your serial numbers would be something like 1234567-(001-003), just like is shown on the other imaged examples in this forum. They do the same thing for State Quarter sets that you image, except it might be 1234567-(001-005).

Therefore, if you were to enter your serial numbers into the NGC Registry in this example, your serial numbers become, 1234567-001, 1234567-002, and 1234567-003.

You may request to have your Bald Eagle set(s) encapsulated in a multi-coin holder.

Please do not send special mint packaging or boxes as they will not be returned. You may submit these coins in their capsules.

I hope this information is helpful.

jgrinz...that is exactly what I was talking about, HOWEVER, you show it for the 20th Anniv.....whether they were holdered individually, or in a multi-holder, the designation was ALWAYS going to be attributed on whichever holder was chosen by the submitter. Am I to understand, by your 'straight answer-YES' that I could theoretically send in my 3 piece proof set (obviously would have to be sent in unopened for them to know its a TRUE, ORIGINAL 3 piece set) and have the holder designated that, indeed it IS from one of the 25,000 sets? Or, is this something I would have to take up with CS, or....?

*Keep in mind, I understand that perhaps NOONE has a definitive answer to my specific question, in regard to it being noted on the slab. I am just looking to use past knowledge of those who have submitted to NGC.....obviously, I have never submitted to NGC before, but given the turn of events with ANACS/ICG, PCI being auctioned off lock, stock and barrell, I see a HUGE opportunity for NGC to take up some of the long standing slack between them and PCGS, and I look for $$ spreads to tighten. This is all contingent upon NGC realizing the opportunity that is knocking at the door and letting it in...for instance, now that ANACS/ICG has the QVC contract, or HSN, or whichever station it is (and now that ShopAtHome, with Robert Chambers, is getting the boot from JewelryTV-even though, SilverTowne will still submit loads, I dont see them needing to submit HUGELY now that their main venue is going to be off the air) that NGC tighten up now (hell, even undergrading-not talking intentionally, but just being a bit more stringent- can garner a CAC sticker, and right there, begins to reel in some of the aforementioned slack), not give out 70's at the current level (unless, of course, its ultra modern and the coin makes it on its own merit). What say you? (or, should I put some 'buca in my next 'Great One' from D2?

NGC is pretty accommodating about what they will put in a multi-holder - up to its size limitations. Even two ounce (large diameter) bullion coins for instance, with writing to one side of it.

If your set was opened, while I am sure NGC would accommodate you and put it in the multi-holder, I am reasonably sure that they would NOT make note of the 20th Anniversary part. They were so strict about that pedigree after all.

If your set is STILL unopened, I believe there is NO time limit on submissions of those sets. So, if it remains in it's unopened original outer packing (shipping) box from the Mint, you can put that box in another box, send it to NGC, and get your 20th Anniversary Pedigree, following their instructions to do so.

You can check with NGC to be sure, but I am reasonably certain I saw an "Ask NGC" post that indicated there was NO expiration date on unopened sets.

See some examples and instructions here:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=24

jgrinz....thats exactly what I want to do. Now, the only thing is do I want to send them off to NGC, or ATS....I know it wont carry any special premium (at least not until one of the TPG's decide to designate the Baldies...either way, it matters not, as it's just a personal personal choice...). I have seen many NGC multi-holders on the market, but not many PCGS multi-holders. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to 'rally the troops' and back a movement to have the Baldies proof set specially designated, I just think it would be neat to have them all together in one holder. One final question regarding this.....in EITHER case (NGC or PCGS) would all three coins have consecutive cert #'s? I noticed on the PCGS Statehood quarter set there is but ONE cert #....is that SOP for PCGS (where NGC has individual certs)?

NGC Serial Numbers on Multi-Holders, tend to be CONSECUTIVE.

The way it usually works is that similar to the way serial numbers are assigned now, they go in the order in which they appear on the your NGC invoice.

So, let's say your NGC Invoice was # 1234567 and you had 5 coins on the invoice, the serial numbers would be 1234567-001, 1234567-002, 1234567-003 and so forth.

In the case of an NGC multi-holder, the way I've seen it done with state quarters, for example, is like this 1234567-(001-005), rather than listing EACH full number in its entirety. However, if you were to enter the number in the NGC Registry, you would use the FULL prefix, and the last three digits, for each respective coin in the holder.

From what I've seen of the PCGS Multi-Holders, it looks like that have but ONE serial number, which I can imagine is problematic in more ways than one?

Back to the consecutive serial numbers:

Someone, I think in the "ASK NGC" area, posted the question about whether or not consecutive numbers meant something, or whether the serial numbers on an NGC slab were of significance in general.

The response was, basically, that the serial numbers stem from invoice numbers (similar to what I described) and that while some collectors PREFER sequential serial numbers, there was no numismatic significance to them.

Just as a update:

Amy did help me with this. She just took the PCGS# (in this case) 72815055 and added 1,2,3,4,5 to the end.

as you can see in my reg set http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=35443&SelectedTab=SetListing on the 2002 Clads.

A easy fix.