• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Columbian Expo. Halves?

9 posts in this topic

Anyone actually ever seen one? I've been looking for a certified white MS Columbian Expo. half for a while now and they're always toned. Looks like [!@#%^&^] in my album, everything's white but that coin? 893frustrated.gif Any ideas or links? Do they carry a large premium?

Buy white Columbian half dollars if you like, but 99 times out of 100, WHITE = DIPPED, often in the extreme. (i.e. dipped until it is pasty white with no luster.) These coins were almost always stored in ways that resulted in some form of toning. I have a very beautifully toned piece that is pictured with my registry set at this site.

RobertB,

It has been my experience that Blast white Columbian halves ARE very hard to come by. I am talking about Blast white coins with excellent luster and no spots.

I am not talking about a washed out white coin with no luster, I would have to agree with the others who say that type of ‘white’ Columbian is not hard to find.

It took me about four years to find my MS-66 Blast white Columbian. I saw a few others during that time, but none had the look I was after. The coin I finely found looks like it left the mint yesterday, it does not have one spot anywhere on the coin and has wonderful cartwheel luster. This type of Columbian is not that easy to find and when a dealer lists one like this they usually make note of this fact.

John

I have to echo the astute observations made already about this issue. If you were to find a truly lustrous, frosty, dusky white coin that was completely original, I think you would have to pay a strong premium if you bought it from a knowledgable seller. Otherwise, this coin is common in a dipped white fashion.

I guess what I'm looking for is an ms62-64 piece with that more bright white as opposed to a flatter, more common white piece. Does this mean dipped? Maybe, but I'd accept that as opposed to an ugly toned brown or even nicely toned golden piece which will be at odds with the other forty something in the album which are white. It's just more astheticly pleasing.

I also believe that dipping is not always bad. I've seen a few coins become wonderful after a few seconds dipping. That may be a rebellious statement, but..............? insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

.....Robert,

I know how hard it is to find a blast white Columbian. It took me a few years to find one that was not washed out. My 1892 has swirling cartwheel luster and the 1893 I got this year is its mate. I did see a really nice one for sale at a company I do alot of business with. If you are interested, its NGC 65, and very blast white.

You can e-mail me thru the Posts if you'd like.

.....Mike Hayes gossip.gif