• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registration Points

7 posts in this topic

I have a question here. I received a coin back from Grading the other day and put the scan of it on one of the Forums here but I just discovered something.

The Coin is an 1880 S 0/9 Medium S VAM 11 ms64 and is a Hot 50. I I received 135 points for it.

I was looking in the Morgan Dollar Hot 50 Registry today at something else and noticed that the Registry points for this coin and Grade are 272 points.

I then went to the 1878-1921 Morgan Registry as well as the Morgan registry one per date and the Registry poins are 135.

Is this a mistake or do you have to use the coin in the Hot 50 Registry to get 272 points? Why would the same exact coin get 1/2 the points in this case?

I asked NGC for a Score change but I htought somebody here might know the answer.

Thanks

I don't participate in the Registry, but maybe the 135 points is awarded for "Non-VAM" Morgans because VAM's are not accepted in that category. (shrug)

Chris

That was one of my questions. Is the HOt 50 strictly for VAMs and the other categories for non Vams . I don't think so as I have a 1878 with a VAM that I included in a non Hot 50 or Top 100 Registry and I got the same number of points that are listed in the Vam Registry.

I received an answer form NGC. NGC informed me that sometimes VAMS outside of a VAM Registry set receive the same points as a Non Vam of the same grade and year because they want to "stress the scaracity of the coin".

If the coin has a population of 26 in a certain grade then it will still have a population of 26 whether it is in a VAM Registry or a Non Vam Registry so I don't understand it but apparently that is the way it is done.