• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you get right down to it, does a slab offer better protection than a 2x2?

40 posts in this topic

Actually, I have dropped coins in 2x2s countless times with no ill effect whatsoever, and never a shattered holder, that's for sure. Once, I DID drop a slab in liquid, and it seeped in remarkably quickly. I was pretty much forced to crack the coin out, but then again, I was going to anyway.

You seem to have a problem with this, huh? In your first post you talked about dropping slabs in the sink as well. My question is - Why did you have a slab at the sink? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, when it happened to me, it wasn't the sink I dropped it in, but I'm too embarrassed to specify exactly what it was :o !

Actually, I have dropped coins in 2x2s countless times with no ill effect whatsoever, and never a shattered holder, that's for sure. Once, I DID drop a slab in liquid, and it seeped in remarkably quickly. I was pretty much forced to crack the coin out, but then again, I was going to anyway.

You seem to have a problem with this, huh? In your first post you talked about dropping slabs in the sink as well. My question is - Why did you have a slab at the sink? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, when it happened to me, it wasn't the sink I dropped it in, but I'm too embarrassed to specify exactly what it was :o !

Did you drop a slab in the toilet? That's even worse. :applause:

I just dropped a draped bust half on the floor. It glanced off my desk and hit my FAX machine before falling softly onto the carpet. I am glad that the coin was in a slab and not in a 2x2.
As long as it's not a new ANACS slab ;)

I would think that the answer is ALWAYS a slab offers better protection to a coin than a 2x2 flip, particularly from the elements and aging over time, your basic "exposure."

P.S. Why not a new ANACS slab?

I would think that the answer is ALWAYS a slab offers better protection to a coin than a 2x2 flip, particularly from the elements and aging over time, your basic "exposure."
Many EAC collectors prefer their coins raw over slabs. Slabs have a tendency to trap moisture which can be bad for copper. Slabs also seem to contribute to milkspotting on ASEs. These issues are less prevalent with flips.
P.S. Why not a new ANACS slab?
They are known to pop open when dropped, letting your coin roll out.

Now I'm REALLY wondering what he was doing!! hm:D

:o

I'll never tell .... doh!

:o

I'll never tell .... doh!

You got me.10_12_4.gif4_18_7.gif:roflmao:

We helped an insurance company evaluate a small safe full of coins that had been involved in the hurricane Rita flooding. The slabs just required being gently cleaned off. The gold coins in 2x2s were OK, the silver coins in 2x2s were mottled brown like a bad dip job, and most of the copper-nickel and bronze coins were spotted and corroded and salavageable only with extreme means, like "nickelene and wire brush" method.

Or even sent through the mail in a padded mailer...

anacs1.jpg

These are in 4 pieces, the two slab halves, the coin insert block and the grade label block. Play with them like Lego! Mix or match, change the coin, change the grade block, change both! Snap it back together and nobody knows!

364836.JPG