• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN 2008: Chapter 3 - KUDOS to NGC

8 posts in this topic

I asked J.T. Stanton to accompany me for the luncheon. I thought it was the least I could do after he treated me to dinner and an evening of pool on Friday. He was very happy that I did, and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only suggestion that I can offer NGC for future luncheons is that they should put a reserved sign on one of the tables near the speaker's podium for the NGC staff. The room filled up rather quickly, and some of the early guests took the tables closest to the podium. For a while there, I thought the staff might have to stand in the doorway. The room was packed! I didn't take an actual count of how many chairs were at each table, but I'm guessing that it was about 12. If I recall, last year there were about 8-10 chairs per table.

As always, the food was excellent, and the company was great. My cell phone went off shortly into the affair, and it was Richard (ibuyandsellsmith). Since he and I have never met before, it was the easiest way for him to find where I was in the room. At first, I was confused and didn't realize that he was already in the room. When I asked where he was, he said that he was standing. I turned around, and sure enough, there he was! Richard, I wish that we could have had more time to talk, but things moved so fast near the end and before I realized it, you were already gone. I hope we will have another opportunity in the future.

Scott Schechter and Mark Salzberg devoted most of the luncheon to a Q&A, and much of the discussion was about counterfeit slabs, better explanations for bodybags and, of course, I had to ask what has become an annual question for me, "Will NGC ever get around to slabbing ANA medals?" Oh well, I struck out again! One of the guests seated at our table raised his hand to speak and he said, "I was at the PCGS luncheon yesterday, and your food beats their food HANDS DOWN!" lol

It's understandable that Scott and Mark couldn't go into too much detail about design elements, but suffice it to say that NGC is making a concerted effort to deter counterfeiting for the future generations of NGC slabs. As far as bodybags are concerned, they will try to offer better explanations especially where "catch-all" categories such as "Altered Surfaces" are the reason for the bodybag.

There is one other "event" that occurred during the luncheon, but I am devoting a special chapter of my report to it. Stay tuned!

Chris

There is one other "event" that occurred during the luncheon, but I am devoting a special chapter of my report to it. Stay tuned!

Chris

CMON :pullhair:

Your killin me Chris :frustrated:

Excellent posting of the weekend events..

(thumbs u

It appears that the NGC event was well worth attending and I wish that I had been able to get to the show, too.

It would have been nice to be able to see you again, Tom. I really enjoy listening to you talk about coins. Maybe you will be able to make it next year. I could suggest to NGC that they put Maryland-style softshell crabs and/or crabcakes on the menu rather than hardshell crabs. :baiting:

Chris

It appears that the NGC event was well worth attending and I wish that I had been able to get to the show, too.

It would have been nice to be able to see you again, Tom. I really enjoy listening to you talk about coins. Maybe you will be able to make it next year. I could suggest to NGC that they put Maryland-style softshell crabs and/or crabcakes on the menu rather than hardshell crabs. :baiting:

Chris

:o

Chris

I thought 'crabs' was a bad thing - NOT a menu item ! hahhaha

doh!

Chris

I thought 'crabs' was a bad thing - NOT a menu item ! hahhaha

doh!

Nope, the crustaceans were around alot longer than you my friend.

Chris