• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copper dime 2005

9 posts in this topic

Hi, i just opened a roll of dimes earlier today and thought a penny was in the roll! Upon further examination, I realized it was a copper dime! It looks just like a penny but is a dime. It has D above the date of 2005. Can anyone give me any idea what this is? It is copper on both sides and all on the rim as well. I do have pictures of the dime next to a regular dime and grody looking penny lol. If u wanna see pics, please email me and I will gladly send. My email address is BelleGSD@aol.com

It sounds like the dime is missing the outer clad layer. Hopefully someone will come along and help you out with value, as I have no idea.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

First, let me welcome you to the forum, Belle! :hi: Hope you enjoy it here!

Now, about that dime - it sounds like a couple of possibilities. It could be a planchet that is missing the cladding, although I don't know how likely that it would be for the cladding to be missing from both sides. It could also be struck on the wrong planchet - possibly a foreign coin? Then again, it may be post-mint damage or toning. It could also be something that I haven't thought of, so hopefully one of the experts here will see this and reply.

I sent you an email requesting the pic, so I will try to link to it when I get it. :)

OK, you have four possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head. The LEAST likely is that you have a coin struck from a planchet that was missing both clad layers. It is also the easiest to check. Weigh the coin. If it is actually missing the clad layers it will weigh around 1.9 grams. If it weighs close to 2.27 grams then it is one of the next three possibilities.

The next least likely is that it has a layer of copper dust sintered to the surface of the planchet in the annealing furnaces at the mint before striking.

The next least likely possibility is that it has been copper plated by someone after it left the mint.

The most likely possibility is simply that it is discolored to a coppery color. This is not that unusual on clad coins. I often find clads that have been exposed to the weather that have turned coppery. Especially for some reason if they have been in gravel parking lots. I think it mush be some kind of reaction between slightly acidic rainwater and the limestone in the gravel.

These last three can really only be determined from a close examination of the coins, and for the most part they don't really have any collectors value. If it happens to be the first one then you have something truly good.

The human brain is hardwired to recognize faces. That's why people tend to see them in so many things. I can see at least a half a dozen faces in various areas to the left of the torch.