• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of tab toning?

8 posts in this topic

I think it's rather interseting and speaks clearly of the originality of the coin.

The attached coin is a tab toned Long Island (1936) graded MS66 by NGC. The coin is a bit more colorful than the scan indicates, with some very pretty and vibrant green near the rims. What do you think of this coin, abandoning the biases of preference if possible? Do you think also that the coin is graded appropriately?

Anyone with other examples of tab toned coins?

Hoot

589a8b3cba0bd_279432-LongIslandtabtonedMS66NGC.JPG.6bb9fa49d17b6bf079be744402380ec0.JPG

Hoot,

I, too, very much appreciate the originality aspect of tab toning, not to mention, the fact that it is often dramatic and very prettty.

Here are a few examples for you:

50067116.jpg

7427772.jpg

39507601.jpg

Wow! Mark. That Antietam is unreal. I'll give ya 50 bucks for it! smile.gifgrin.gif

Uh-oh, an EVP-like physical reaction coming on! insane.gif

Thanks for the excellent pictures Mark.

Hoot

i love all the tab toned coins pictured here

the long island just from the scans looiks really good to me and from the scan looks better than a ms66

i bet in person it is a solid ms66 but i would have to see it inperson to be sure but from the scan an outrageous tab toned original coin

i love the antitedum and the lynchberg is utterly fantastic

i really like the oregon!

I don't like most of the tab toned coins that I have seen. Dull brown or black toning around the edge combined with a dull brown or black bulls eye make for a really ugly coin IMO. BUT if I could find a few more peices like that Antietam, I'd change my tune.

I suspect that piece only spent a few years in the original holder before it was moved to an envelope. When the coin spent a long time in the original holder and/or was subject to heat while it was in the holder, you get dark and ugly.

Bill,

Dull brown or black toning around the edge combined with a dull brown or black bulls eye make for a really ugly coin IMO.

I could not agree with you more about the above statement, but I do like tab toning if it is colorful. Here is a Roanoke with the kind of tab toning I like.

277765-1937%20roanoke%20obv.jpg

Hoot from the scan your Long Island looks like a solid to high end MS-66 to me.

John