• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well circulated early cent

12 posts in this topic

I don't know about others, but I simply love well circulated early cents. I think they have a great deal of character and can be rather lovely, even if they have been "through the mill," so to speak.

About a month ago, I picked up a nice example of a 1795 cent that I thought would grade around AG03. It had a bit of a green spot on the reverse and looked a tad corroded, so I sent it to NCS and had them remove the spot and encapsulate it. I'm quite pleased with the results. Pleasse see the attached photo.

As an aside, I really like the NCS holder - more so than any other, frankly.

Anyway, I was surprised at the resultant grade and am quite happy with the coin. cloud9.gif

Hoot

589a8b3cb1c9f_279330-1795S76B1centGdetailsNCS.jpg.24809198a6c62f6be6e881911cf15df3.jpg

Nice coin. The early cents are great in any shape just for the history aspect and whose hands they might have gone through (if only they could talk). It looks like NCS did a good job and with a nice holder but the temptation of being able to touch it might be enough for me to crack it out...

I, too, think that the NCS holder is superior to many others. The coin is also a very neat piece to be able to own. Something from that time in our history that was used heavily. It's cool. smile.gif

In honor of your well circulated early cent, here is one that I have and that is raw. It was from the Norweb Collection sale by Bowers and Merena in November of 1988. Please, no jokes about the Norweb Collection, okay? It was lot 2769 and is an S-153. The thing that drew me most to this coin is that it not only has a rather substantial retained cud on the obverse but it also has a cracked planchet that goes through the coin! 893whatthe.gif You can actually see one side clear through to the other.

279863-1798DBS153.jpg.a98080c064a3e61fd91e1ec6226be92a.jpg

By the way, I don't have the catalog handy, can anyone tell me what the write up of that lot was in that auction and perhaps what it sold for? Thanks in advance.

The lot sold for $143 (including the vig).

From the Norweb III catalog:

Net Grade: VG10

Sharpness: VF25

Surfaces: Dark brown in color. Evenly and microscopically rough. Spectacular planchet crack from about 3:00 on the obverse extending inwards to Liberty's throat, mirrored on the reverse. Probably this was cut from near the edge of an improperly annealed and rolled strip.

Die State: Very late, heavy rim break at 5:00 on the obverse.

Narrative: This is a scarce variety, made more popular by its late die state.

Purchased from the 1953 ANA Convention Sale:2708

Outstanding cent Tom! What a greaat hunk of collecting history, let alone the marvelous history that the coin expresses itself. cool.gif

I just sent a 1798 to NGC for holdering (I simply like the ease of handling and uniformity of storage). It's a nice AG03, so not nearly the detail of your own. I also opted for the variety plus. I like having the attributions.

Hoot

That cracked planchet is incredibly cool! We used to own a Connecticut with a fissure smack dab in the center that went all the way through. I always regretted selling that coin. (Well ... actually Dennis sold it - it's his fault!)

James