• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleaned coins

5 posts in this topic

I find coins that looks like awsome strikes yet cleaned.

I wonder if ngc will slab cleaned coins (those tiny scraches that you see while tilting the coin against the light.)

or what can be done to those coins

I'd say that it's not likely that NGC would grade a harshly cleaned coin. If they are only lightly hairlined, then I'd guess that it would depend on the coin. As far as what to do with them? If you still like the coins, keep them. If all you see is the cleaning when you look at them, selling would be a good option. Just be sure that the potential buyer knows that they are cleaned.

Can be hard to tell without a loupe sometimes. What looks like hairlines on a proof is actually agressive die polishing on a business strike in this picture. The lines going down the side of Liberty's right arm are raised. The dies clashed twice leaving two impressions of the shield from other side by Liberty's left arm. One impression is slightly rotated.

282332-polish.jpg

282332-polish.jpg.e09f45df6818c92d855c6f586a80b76f.jpg

awsome exmpale.

yes, I have some coins that looks very nice but they do show a trace of of cleaning,

I;m just not sure if i should submit them, cause I dont know if ngc will slab them or send it back to me with a nasty note saying "cleaned"

maybe anyone have more input on this ?