• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Canadian coins

8 posts in this topic

Hello.

I want to have a few canadian coins for my collection, but I need a book for a newbie first. Is there any good book for a beginner?

Also, is there any good price guide for Canadian coins?

And...looking at Canadian coin section of eBay, there are lots of coins with PL, SP designation, but are they made for circulation or are they made with special care for collectors?

Hello Toyonakataro,

The Charlton catalogue is the probably most popular Canadian reference book. It has pricing as well, but the Canadian Coin News (CCN) is the retail pricing guide that most people use. This site is based on CCN pricing, but may be somewhat out of date.

The PL (prooflike) and SP (specimen) designated coins were made with special care for collectors. If you are going to be looking for coins that have been certified, ICCS is the prefered service of most Canadian collectors. They use technical grading instead of market grading and you can find many appealing coins even in the MS62-63 range. Another thing to consider is that the pricing guides are based on the same standards used by ICCS.

Good luck with your new collection!

Spiny

Thank you very much for those info.

I want to have some Canadian coins minted in 60s and 70s for my collection but I would like to stick with regular business strike for a while.

Your info helped me a lot! Thanks flowerred.gif

Bummer, I've had these two Canadian nickels since I was a kid. I thought that they would be worth more. They are mint state but the side that was down in the Whitman album are rusted. So, they're not even worth five bucks for the two of them. 893frustrated.gif

1944 Steel V .25 .50 1.00 1.50 2.50 5.00 12 30

1945 Steel V .25 .50 1.00 1.50 2.50 5.00 12 35

Good luck in finding nice business strikes that aren't selling for an arm and a leg as slabbed supergrades. I sometimes find that the most common coins are the hardest to come by because "no one" wants them (or so the dealres say).