• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fingerprints and cleaned coins

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I collect different world coins and I have many of them showing fingerprints.

I would really like to send them to NCS but they mostly very cheap coins that i take out of sets.

I was trying to dip them in acetone and then rub them with a cloth but it wont take them out.

I wonder if you can advise me how to take those off the coin with kinda do it yourself thing.

thx

Fingerprints are a real problem for which there is often no easy solution.

To be quite honest, I think these fingerprints may have been on the coin long enough that they have etched into the surface and will not come off. In fact, it would not surprise me at all that you have removed a lot of the residues with the acetone but that the residual print you are seeing is actually damage to the coin.

Fingerprints are best removed when fresh and depending on the severity a few different treatments may be needed. Keep in mind that not only does your skin excrete a variety of harmful materials and deposit them on the coin, but also other things you have come in contact with can also be transferred.

This is why it is so important to address fingerprints early and handle coins properly.

Regards,

You mention handling them properly. What exactly do you mean by this? I handle all my Mint state and Proof sets with cotton gloves. Is this a good process or are there others we should know about? Thanks.

Papag