• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1836 Bust Half Dime question

31 posts in this topic

I would like some of you with bust half dime experience to view this coin and tell me if it is just mechanical doubling or what it is. It's a 1936 bust half dime that appears to have the 3 in the date doubled to the northeast. It does not look like the inverted 3 at all. I realize the coin is damaged so value and grade are a moot point-shame for it would have been a nice coin. Thanks for taking a look in advance.

Jim

18363over3BustHalfDime.jpg

1836BustHalfDime3over3.jpg

The digit "3" is repunched - a very common characteristic of early coinage like this. In fact, it's unusual to have a die marriage with no repunching somewhere.

Despite the damage, I love humble old coins like this!

I agree with James. I don't know much about the Bust Dimes, but the 3 does looked repunched. I like these old coins too, regardless of damage. It just shows it's history!

Let me clear this up for you:

The 1836 3 over inverted 3 is the LM-3 which this is not, this is however a LM-5 where the digit 3 recut on outside of lower ball, it is a R-2 which is fairly common. Hope that helps.

Thanks, realone. What book do you use to attribute these coins. Federal Half Dimes or United States Half Dimes? Which of these two are the most informative(I realize that Federal only covers 1792-1837 but have heard it is the best). I appreciate your feedback.

Jim

i would wait on a better condition, they are plentiful, but to answer your question at that price level I don't see a problem, its pretty cheap, its just that the damage is severe so you will be keeping her for awhile.

Thanks, all, I was lucky and the book was still there. Brand new! Can't wait to peruse all 293 pages(per the ad). Just for fun, here is another damaged coin I have, 1833 half cent. It just kills me to think what this coin could have been without the damage. Oh well.

1833obvrevdamaged.jpg

This is only one die variety for the 1833 half cent. It's rated as a R-1 and is quite common. Of course large amounts of early to middle date (1830s) copper coinage have been taken out of numismatic circulation. As a result you won't see too much of this material even at a national show. At the local shows it is almost all disappeared.

The 1833 half cents did not circulate very much therefore its rare to see a piece that grades less than VF-30 by "honest wear." This piece had its obverse pressed down into a uneven surface like road or sidewalk a long time ago.

Hi, Jim.

Your 1/2 dime certainly has character!!

I would love to know how you post such excellent close up photos. Is there a particular type of equipment you use or is it a high degree of skill?

RI AL

Don't know much about cents, Call Mike in Florida, he knows.....

That's a half cent, silly. ;) Thanks for the kind words anyway.

Have fun...Mike

p.s. Mr. Jones' post above is dead on.

RI AL-Listen-do you hear the laughter all around us? You are not paranoid, its the rest of the forum laughing. I am the worst photographer on the board. When someone tells me to set the lighting all I have is an off/on switch on the wall(now I can put in a 150 watt bulb and let the photograpy occur). My camera is an fd100 sony mavica(thank god it has auto whatever). I thank you for the compliment but for the date closeups I use a Digital Blue QX5 computer microscope( a cheap microscope but functional).

All joking aside, their are some fantastic photographers on this board but I am unfortunately not one of them. Thanks again, Jim.

I use a Digital Blue QX5 computer microscope( a cheap microscope but functional).

Jim, I also have a QX5, but with a halogen light, everything looks bright orange. What kind of light do you use?

I don't take pics at night, so I don't use a light. lol. Honestly, I use only the light that came in the microscope. As the microscope photos are B/W only I don't use any extraneous lighting, just the component supplied light.

BTW, thanks Mike for the compliement.

Good afternoon, Guys.

The 1836 half dime question prompted to make me examine my 1834. I had identified it previously (had this for years...XF 45 in an old ANACS holder), as a Breen 2997, 3 over reversed 3, but now that I look more closely, inside the 8 and the 3 are messed. I am going to post a picture of the obverse that I pixled to death so I apologize if it comes out mammoth. (I haven't figured out how to see the enlargements until I post them.) I have brightened the coin quite a bit too so hopefully whatever is going on inside the date will show better. I tried a less pixled version (great tech lingo there, huh) and a bit less bright too.

Many thanks...and have a nice evening.

RI AL

1834o002.jpg

1834o003.jpg

Well, Jim...

Your photos are one heck of a lot better than mine...as witnessed by my latest 1/2 dime post. Hopefully I am not beyond help, however, and the photo fairy will drop me a better doo- dad and a wach-a-ma-call-it someday.

RI AL

realone, good morning!

Here are the enlargements of the reverse of the 1834 half dime. I appreciate your interest and hope the scans are helpful.

RI AL

halfdimerev.jpg

halfdimerev001.jpg

That is because it is an 1834 LM-3 , the digit 3 is punched over an inverted 3 and 4 is repunched and the lower loop of the 8 is partially filled. So you are correct in your assumptions about the obverse. All LM-3 die states (marriages) look like this. It is one of the cooler half dimes.

Realone, hello again.

Thanks so much for helping me out with the 1834 half dime. I have the Logan McCloskey book but certainly don't have the skill to identify the coin as other than 3 over inverted 3. That's as far as I got but at least I got the 3/3 part right. I very much appreciate the information and will make the appropriate designation on the slab.

Again, many thanks!

RI AL