• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Tibet coin experts out there???

3 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, guys.

I am looking for a Tibet coin whiz. I had a brief fling with collecting type pieces (didn't get too far before my collecting tastes changed...for the 32,000th time.) Anyway. Just going through the small collection and found several of the 1 rupee silver coins of different varieties. These are the smaller coin in the pictures. However, I also found a couple of the big ones but can't seem to find a listing for this "coin". It measures 1 1/2" in diameter and does have a bit of a ring to it when dropped so I am guessing it is silver...maybe...but who knows. The edge is reeded. Maybe they are just fakes, or good luck tokens sold to tourists...but if you can help, I sure would appreciate it!! Oh, on a whim...I just thought to check if it is magnetic...it IS...BIGTIME! I'm leaning more toward the tourist theory but your thoughts are always appreciated.

Have a nice evening.

RI AL

tibeto.jpg

tibetr.jpg

Physics-fan...good morning again.

Somehow, somewhere I have gotten 4 of the big Tibet "coins" and they all are identical and now that you mention "cast" I noticed the reverse pitting on all 4 when I saw the enlargements. I think you called it right...cast and probably a Tourist trinket...especially being magnetic and all...

How did you get do darned smart??

RI AL

Physics huh...I barely got through 7th grade geometry...but I was a whiz at the piano.