• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabs with the "football sticker"

13 posts in this topic

It must be senility...or just not reading coin world too much recently, but I haven't heard much about the "football" sticker for slabbed PCGS, NGC. Is it still up and running and catching on...or did it go the way of the Edsel?

RI AL

Here's a good joke for you: What's the Edsel?

I haven't heard or seen much about CAC recently, and frankly I'm glad about that. All the controversy and strife was giving me an ulser, and the lack of responses to this topic shows that it must have faded a little bit.

Sarcasm aside for a moment, more coins are starting to appear with CAC stickers, including a good sized number in the current Heritage FUN sale. It will be up to the marketplace to determine what the demand is for CAC coins.

THE ULTIMATE WOULD BE IN A PCGS SLAB and then with a gold CAC football sticker

the ultimate :cloud9:

Please forgive me, but I'm in one of my Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does" moods this morning.

First, we have the third party GRADING services.

Then, a fourth party REVIEW service, namely the CAC, comes along.

People are quick to nickname their seal of approval the "Football Sticker".

But, let's suppose that the CAC drops the ball from time to time.

Will someone come up with the idea of a fifth party RATING service?

If so, I think they should name themselves the "CAC-kler Tackler" and they could use as their logo a turkey wearing a football helmet and shoulder pads.

Just my 2c and three-quarter "sense".

Chris

Wow...I guess the Edsel reference did date me a bit. Back in 1958 (59 and 60 too I believe) Ford came out with the Edsel model...made by Ford. It was a spectacular flop. Big meaty car, as they all were but if I recall correctly, they had a very powerful engine that (if rumor was true), "could outrun the cops". It was marketed as something like, "The right car at the right time". WRONG...and wrong again.

I'm no car buff, but I do remember playing "count the Edsels" with my brother on car trips with my parents. Needless to say...the numbers weren't exactly staggering. In fact...it was a very rare day one one popped up.

RI AL

The Edsel came out in 1958 and was named after one of Henry Ford's sons.
Edsel was Henry Ford's ONLY son. Henry Ford II was Edsel's son. Edsel took over the car company from his father. When Edsel died of cancer in his 40s (and I think in the 40s), his father resumed control. Edsel's son, Henry Ford II, took over from his grandfather.

Scott :hi:

The Edsel came out in 1958 and was named after one of Henry Ford's sons.
Edsel was Henry Ford's ONLY son. Henry Ford II was Edsel's son. Edsel took over the car company from his father. When Edsel died of cancer in his 40s (and I think in the 40s), his father resumed control. Edsel's son, Henry Ford II, took over from his grandfather.

Scott :hi:

Edsel Ford was an automotive genius whose life was made miserable and cut short by his domineering father. Edsel designed one the early Lincoln Continentals that ultimately ended up in the Guggenheim as a great work of modern art.

His father, Henry, had a great idea when it came to designing the modern assembly line and the mass production of automobiles. Henry Ford made cars affordable for almost everyone. The trouble is he insisted on hanging on the Model T too long, and that delay allowed General Motors to overtake Ford as the #1 car company in the world. When Ford realized his mistake it was too late. The company had to suspend production for almost a year to retool and catch up with GM. Like some other greater company founders, Henry’s inability to adjust to times hurt his company in the long run.

It’s a shame the Edsel Ford’s name ended up being associated with one of the most embarrassing automotive flops in history. He really deserved better.