• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the territorial quarters get their own set?

8 posts in this topic

Since the Congress passed it into law, in 2009 the District of Columbia and the 5 territories will get quarters (6 in 1 year instead of 5?). Do you guys think that these coins should be added to the statehood quarters set in the registry or do you think that they should be put into their own set(s) for mint state and proof quarters.

I personally think they should be made into a separate set from the statehoods. They were authorized by a different act of Congress, these are not statehood quarters they're terrirtories and federal districts and they'll break the trend of 5 per year.

The law says that they are an extension of the Statehood Quarters. Thus, they should be part of the other 50 state quarters.

Scott :hi:

let it be written

let it be done

My favorite movie ever. Hands down, the most quotable line of the undeniably greatest movie of Charlton Heston, Yul Brenner, and Cecil B. Demille's career.

I think they should be part of the Statehood Quarters series as well. I think it reminds people that while these places are not states, that as much as they may dislike it, these places are, in fact, part of the United States. People in these locations may carry U.S. Passports, much to the dismay of people on the issue of "immigration" and so on -- our coins often immortalize issues or themes that really should be part of what America IS, togetherness, not separation in this case.

I do, however, have mixed feelings about the addition to the series in general.

I've had my subscription to the state quarter rolls, the state quarter bags, the state quarter first day cover things, the state quarter spoons (as a gift for the spoon collector in my life), the state quarter PROOF sets, the SILVER proof sets, the MINT sets. (am I leaving anything out?) I was SOOOOO looking forward to it...

FINALLY BEING OVER IN 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, we get another year.

As of it wasn't bad enough that they had to lure me into a whole additional series with the presidential dollars.... And so it begins anew!

I am with Revenant on this issue. Adding on DC and the five territories is not what the initial program called for, ie "The 50 State Quarters Program of the United States Mint".

Last I heard these 2009 coins do not include states and if they did, the number should be 56. I say put them in with the tokens!