• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Jefferson Spouse

4 posts in this topic

I purchased the Unc and Proof coins from the U.S. mint. They are my first gold coins. Unfortunately after holding them for a while I realize that my coin budget just doesnt support gold coins. I much rather spread the money out on silver coins. Anyway after looking at the the current gold price ($870), the melt value for these coins is currently $25 more that what I purchased them for ($845). So my question is what is the best way to sell these coins to gain the most profit? And what would the current average sell price be for these 2 coins?

The best way to try to get the most money for these coins is have them slabbed. If they come back MS or PR 70, you will have a chance to maximize your investment. Otherwise if they are raw, you probably looking at a sell price that is close to melt.

The First Spouse boomlet is over. In the future, I predict that the sales of these coins will fall below the mintage limits. Some issues will sell for high prices after the mint has stopped selling them because of some probable ultra low mintages. The trouble is you have to be lucky enough to buy the low mintage issues and stay away from the sell-out issues.

And, yes, given the price of gold bullion, the mint’s selling prices will be much higher next year.

I have both of them as well but I'm going to hold onto mine for awhile. Since they carry the Draped Bust design, they will always have more demand than the others. I think that it is a big mistake to sell them now. Even if you need the money, try to come up with another solution because there is only positive potential associated with these two coins.