• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Information from NGC regarding counterfeit holders

33 posts in this topic

Any word on when NGC is going to introduce the upgraded counterfeit deterent holders ? Nothing announced on the announcement section of the NGC page , anyone got some insider info?

I noticed that when my wife and I were in the U.K. last year that all credit cards over there now contain a microchip that identifies the user. Washington state is working on driver's licenses with this technology so that Washington residents may cross the Canadian border without a passport. Maybe that same technology could be employed by the grading companies, as an option at additional cost, to identify their slab serial numbers and grade. This would preclude most asian counterfeiters because they are mom and pop shops that do not have the technology to produce or access to purchase the chips.

I think RFID chips up the game, but only make the costs/barriers of entry higher. I like the idea, but question that people will have RFID readers at your house and at every coin store/bourse to verify their validity, so they present some logistical/cost challenges also. The cards are cheap (less than a quarte each), but the readers are still expensive last I checked.

The above point notwithstading, combining RFID with high-res pictures along with an 800 hotline, and I think you limit the counterfeit exposure greatly, and give everyone a reason to send coins in for reholdering (and the profit it would lead to) -- so it is in the TPGs best interest (i.e. bottom line) to act, in my opinion.