• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA National Money show in phoenix

17 posts in this topic

The ANA is holding a national coin money show in phoenix this march, lots of dealers are going to be there. This will be my first major coin show to go to if I go. I have 2 questions. First, I want to just go there and look around possibly shop. Does it cost anything to do this? My friend told me it might.

Second, I was wondering if there is a class on counterfeit detection and grading in this money show. My friend said to me he went to one of these classes in a similiar money show in another state. How would I go about finding one or signing up?

Here's a link to the show:

http://www.money.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NumismaticEvents/NationalMoneyShow/default.htm

There is no charge to enter the bourse floor. You will have to register at the entrance and get a badge. Free!

As for the courses, counterfeit detection is not being offered in Phoenix. You can see a PDF of the brochure here. Remember, it is a PDF and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Scott :hi:

There is no charge to enter the bourse floor. You will have to register at the entrance and get a badge. Free!

As for the courses, counterfeit detection is not being offered in Phoenix. You can see a PDF of the brochure here. Remember, it is a PDF and you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.

What is the bourse floor? Is that just the entrance where the general public are allowed?

Scott, also I noticed under technical series this is listed:

"Coin Conservation, Authentication and grading"

It has authentication in there, isn't that the same as counterfeit detection?

Bourse is an old French term referring to a trading floor. For some reason--and I do not have the historical reference--numismatics use the term "bourse" to describe the floor of these shows. Maybe someone like Dave Lange could weigh in on the history.

As for the courses, the ANA does have a specific course on counterfeit detection. It is taught during the summer seminars in Colorado Springs and there is a version they have offered at other conventions. I interpreted your interest in counterfeit detection as being that course. I am sure that they will touch on some counterfeit detection as part of authentication. But I was told that the class is mostly about grading.

You can call the ANA and ask them for yourself. They don't bite--usually! :)

Bourse is just a term for where the action is. It's where all the dealers are, row after row of coins that stretches for as far as the eye can see. Your first major coin show is quite an overwhelming experience, and I am excited for you. I remember my first major coin show, FUN 2004, as if it were yesterday. I walked in and the sound of coins clanking in the bulk counters was jingling in my ear, and there was a hum of activity. The smell of the concession stand hit me, and everywhere I looked there were coins. I was in heaven. At a big show like this there will be hundreds of dealers and thousands of collectors. Normally the big shows are free, I have been to a couple of smaller shows that charged a bourse fee, but it was never more than $3 or $4.

Bourse is just a term for where the action is. It's where all the dealers are, row after row of coins that stretches for as far as the eye can see. Your first major coin show is quite an overwhelming experience, and I am excited for you. I remember my first major coin show, FUN 2004, as if it were yesterday. I walked in and the sound of coins clanking in the bulk counters was jingling in my ear, and there was a hum of activity. The smell of the concession stand hit me, and everywhere I looked there were coins. I was in heaven. At a big show like this there will be hundreds of dealers and thousands of collectors. Normally the big shows are free, I have been to a couple of smaller shows that charged a bourse fee, but it was never more than $3 or $4.

physics-fan3.14, I'm starting to get very aggrevated now. Ive called the phoenix convention center (where the national money show is to be held) 3 times. The first time, they couldn't find it. Finally, they found it. I was asking whether or not it costs anything to just go there and look around. They didn't know. They said they'd call me back, which they didn't. Day 2. I call again, I spoke to the same person, who tells me the lady (her superior) has found informationabout it. I get no call back even though they say they will call back. Today I Call again, hoping for an answer, and I get some other lady, who doesn't have a clue what it is and she says she can't find it. So she puts me on hold for some ticket office thing and says maybe they can find it, but they are closed!

GRR

:censored:rantrant:pullhair:

The people putting on the show (ANA) would be better to contact, Stinky, rather than the convention center. Frequently the convention centers have no idea nor do they take any part in charging admission.

Rather than get frustrated, just budget $10 for entry and hopefully you'll get back some change to buy a drink!

Hope this helps...Mike

Stinky... you didn't read my reply. THERE IS NO CHARGE TO ENTER THE BOURSE FLOOR!

There is a charge for the classes. See the link I included in my note above for a pointer to the convention information.

Also, instead of calling the convention center, call the ANA at 800-367-9723. They are located in Colorado Springs, which is Mountain Time. Adjust your time accordingly.

Kevin,

I visited my first large show in March 2007, the ANA show in Charlotte. As Scott has said, it costs nothing to get in, but if I were you I would get there early to register. We got there at about 10:00 and the people were lined up out the door waiting to register. It took us about 45 minutes to get through the line.

As I had to learn the hard way, if you plan on making any purchases, bring cash only. I was looking to purchase my Saint Gaudens at the ANA show, and rather than searching for the perfect coin most of the time, I had to search for a dealer that would take Visa!

Stinky... you didn't read my reply. THERE IS NO CHARGE TO ENTER THE BOURSE FLOOR!

There is a charge for the classes. See the link I included in my note above for a pointer to the convention information.

Also, instead of calling the convention center, call the ANA at 800-367-9723. They are located in Colorado Springs, which is Mountain Time. Adjust your time accordingly.

Thanks Scott. I called the ANA from that number which I found before it was posted and they do not charge. "on march 7-9 free 9am on friday 7th, full show @ 10 am"

Also the authentication grading and conservation class I want to take is $219. I have around $230. I'm not an ANA member. If I had just a little more money I could join the ANA and also take the class. Dang it..

Also, for anyone who's been to one, if I plan to take the 3 day course in conservation, grading, and authentication where should I stay for the night to sleep? Since I live in phoenix I'd imagine driving back to where I live each night to sleep which is about 30 miles away from phoenix.

Also, for anyone who's been to one, if I plan to take the 3 day course in conservation, grading, and authentication where should I stay for the night to sleep? Since I live in phoenix I'd imagine driving back to where I live each night to sleep which is about 30 miles away from phoenix.

If I were in your shoes, and only lived 30 miles away, I would make the drive every day. A 60 mile round trip costs far less than a hotel room, not to mention meals.

On the other hand, if money is not an issue, and you want to have a mini- vacation, go for it! :)

Either way, I hope you have a great time!

If I were in your shoes, and only lived 30 miles away, I would make the drive every day. A 60 mile round trip costs far less than a hotel room, not to mention meals.

On the other hand, if money is not an issue, and you want to have a mini- vacation, go for it! :)

Either way, I hope you have a great time!

Turns out I'm probably not going. My moped scooter is broken and my parents have said they probably will not drive me because they have to work. This really sucks. How often would I have this oppourtunity to go to a great class like this?

:censored:

Turns out I'm probably not going. My moped scooter is broken and my parents have said they probably will not drive me because they have to work. This really sucks. How often would I have this oppourtunity to go to a great class like this?

:censored:

Stinky... are you younger than 23? Then you can join the ANA for $20! You can see the dues here!

For $20, it's a great deal!!

Stinky... are you younger than 23? Then you can join the ANA for $20! You can see the dues here!

I didn't know about that. Huh. Might have to think about it while I'm still young (for another 7 months).

I didn't know about that. Huh. Might have to think about it while I'm still young (for another 7 months).

This is why I say that the only dumb questions are the ones never asked!!

PM sent (in a moment)

Looks like I'll need roughly $450 to go plus food.

ANA membership - $20

Class - $219

Hotel for 2 days (March 4th to 6th) - @ $60/per night x 2 = 120, x 3 = 180

Since my parents are working and I can't drive down there I need a taxi

$55 one way, so $55 x 2