• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What made you into a coin collector?

36 posts in this topic

Had a summer job working at a toll station for the state of CONN on the Merritt Parkway (CT 15). Toll was 20 cents and most people gave you a quarter or fifty cents or a dollar.I

worked some days but many nights nothing to do in that little booth.Would sort nickels by dates trying to get them all.Just went from there 1964 used to cash my pay check at the toll station and exchange it for silver coins for face value . That $2.75 hr job when the Hunt Bros went after the silver market in 1980 when it hit $49.45 O/Z that turned my $2.75 hr into about $133.00 hr bought a house

My paternal grandmother was a coin collector, and she got me hooked on coins. I remember numerous trips to coin shops in south and central Florida, and going to an ANA convention in the late 1960's (held in Miami Beach). She would pass on copies of Coin World and dealer flyers---I especially liked the Rare Coin Review, and I frequently received nice coins as birthday, Christmas, and graduation presents (e.g., an AU58 Seated Liberty dollar, gem BU St. Gaudens double eagle, gem 1942 proof set, etc.) and I still have these coins.

Yup - (THGG)

The Hunter-Gather Gene here too ...

A few things collected when younger that Michael failed to mention :) .. hmm Butterfly's / Insects / GI Joes / Leaves / rocks aka minerals in my mind wether they were or were not, Hot wheels , .. hmm Coins and Stamps obviously ( Littleton Stamp and Coin was my supplier - I guess they are still around )

The collecting was used as escapism when my Mother and Father went through thier devorce.

At 16 everything was disolved for the 'ride' - a 1963 Chev Biscayne 4dr - 6cyl and 3 speed 'on the tree' :) - I was cruising baby !

Though most of my adult life I was with out coins, when I got MARRIED in 1986 - I purchased some American Eagles to commemorate the blessed event. Not really hooked at that time but it was definitely festering ...

Then there was HSN ... They had a '40 years of Proof sets' offer and that was it ... instant collection and back into it HEAVY! Most of these coins because of personal preferrence and sentiment and have been Certified and slabbed in Multi holders and are accessable via to look at via my registry sets if interested.

I know It wasn't worth the money paid but .... :)

The collection has gone through various stages of 'work' and continues till this day and probably will never be finished but if I finished what would I collect next ... hmmmmm ... ( to be continued )

Yes, I'd forgotten about stamps. I did those for a few years starting in 5th grade. Ended up selling them all last year for 80% of face value to someone who wanted them for postage. What a waste of money and time those were!

Yup - (THGG)

At 16 everything was disolved for the 'ride' - a 1963 Chev Biscayne 4dr - 6cyl and 3 speed 'on the tree' :) - I was cruising baby !

Though most of my adult life I was with out coins, when I got MARRIED in 1986 - I purchased some American Eagles to commemorate the blessed event. Not really hooked at that time but it was definitely festering ...

Then there was HSN ... They had a '40 years of Proof sets' offer and that was it ... instant collection and back into it HEAVY! Most of these coins because of personal preferrence and sentiment and have been Certified and slabbed in Multi holders and are accessable via to look at via my registry sets if interested.

I know It wasn't worth the money paid but .... :)

Hey, Joker, did you steal my bio? hm

Sold my coins to buy a '74 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Got out of it for my transition years until I finally was making a decent paycheck. But I did buy a 1990 BU ASE for my daughter's birthyear. It was over $20 at a bank. Guess I didn't make such a good deal on it but it was the first I saw or knew of the ASE program. I also bought a few proof sets in the early '90's.

Started watching Coin Vault which got me caught up to date with the latest numismatic happenings. I learned of slabs, of commemorative moderns, of silver proof sets, etc. So, the show kept me facinated until I exceeded their learning curve. Now, I can't watch those programs without getting nauseous. But, since I bought the 40 year run of proof sets in Aug of 2004 for $995, I've been hooked more than ever every since.

The first year back, I bought whatever appealed to me. Most classic US coins I got taken on. But many people on these boards mentored me so that I was groomed to the point that I can pretty much stand on my own and can recognize a good purchase or not.

I am a collector at heart but I now look at my collection as an investment to help stem the tide of inflation. I will keep working on my type registry while pruning lots of my earlier buys. The future looks bright and my excitement for the hobby keeps increasing. (thumbs u

Started watching Coin Vault which got me caught up to date with the latest numismatic happenings. I learned of slabs, of commemorative moderns, of silver proof sets, etc. So, the show kept me facinated until I exceeded their learning curve. Now, I can't watch those programs without getting nauseous. But, since I bought the 40 year run of proof sets in Aug of 2004 for $995, I've been hooked more than ever every since.

I figure mine set was purchased around 2000 - cost $499 :)

AND I Believe you are mimic-ing ME my friend ... :)