• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad day at the mint??

5 posts in this topic

Hey, Guys...and Happy HEALTHY New Year!!

I've been kinda' chillin' lately (not to mention the 1 degree reading we had Friday Morning here in RI) and stumbled across this. I purchased this way back and had it slabbed by SEGS ...must be 8 or 9 years ago...not sure. One thing I did (DO?) like about SEGS is that they told it like it is on the slabs.

Anyway, I don't know if details are visible because it is obviously a dark coin, but I call this my "bad day at the mint" coin. Not only is the planchet a loser (darned Brits) but I guess the die gave up the ghost too. Thought it would be fun to share.

Hope you all are well and have a very successful collecting year.

RI AL

17971o.jpg17971r.jpg

Wow! Great coin. I like the term 'massive die failure'. I heard the mint had resorted to all kinds of measures to get planchets for half cents, including cutting down other coins, using scrap, etc. I wonder if yours is one of those...

--Christian

It was a bad day for the die sinker too.

This is the famous 1797 1 over 1 variety. It's the most common 1797 half cent variety, and it is a naked eye blundered die. When the die sinker started to punch the date into the die he punched in the first 1 way too high. Then he punched in the second 1 and the rest of the date in the right position. Here is an early die state example of the variety.

1797HalfCentO.jpg1797HalfCentRJPG.jpg

The mint used the dies that produced this variety until they were totally senile. There are near Mint State examples of this coin that show very little detail at all. .

BillJones.

Good morning!

Wow, what a BEAUTY your 1797/1 half cent is. Gee...wanna' trade??? I EVEN pay shipping BOTH ways...

Now is THAT a deal you CAN pass up...

Thanks for sharing!!

RI AL

Good morning, Christian.

Well, you've given me a project. I never have REALLY studied the 1797/1 "massive die failure" really closely. Think I'll add that to the to do list...see if it once had a previous life as a coin from another continent...or PLANET!

I appreciate your reply.

RI AL