• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806 half cent

12 posts in this topic

For my first purchase of the new year of any consequence, I bought this half cent. I apologize for the poor photo as it is all I have at the moment. Could you look at it and try to grade if possible from the photo. If not I understand. Thanks.

1806HalfCent.jpg

Wow, really tough to grade. It looks like there's some luster on the coin, but the wear pattern/details suggests otherwise. Perhaps a weakly struck VF 30 or XF 40??? I'd love to see lager photos of it though (and with less JPG compression), as I could see this coin anywhere from F to AU...Mike

I don't like the color. Not sure why. It looks too light of a tan/light brown when they are usually darker chesnut brown, or almost black. I agree with Mike, very hard to grade from the photos provided.

Thanks, I will post better photos as soon as the coin arrives. Sorry, Mark, notwithstanding your most excellent advice, I purchased this copper for 20% less than VG pricing, almost G pricing. Unless it comes with a hole in the middle that has been colored over, I think it will fit nicely in my 7070 at hopefully VF or thereabouts.

Thanks, I will post better photos as soon as the coin arrives. Sorry, Mark, notwithstanding your most excellent advice, I purchased this copper for 20% less than VG pricing, almost G pricing. Unless it comes with a hole in the middle that has been colored over, I think it will fit nicely in my 7070 at hopefully VF or thereabouts.

Actually, that's exactly what I'd be worried about. I'm sorry, but it looks damaged to me. I guess if Mark is guessing EF-40, you don't have much to lose if you paid, say, $60.

I am strongly opposed to buying coins sight-unseen without a full return privilege from a seller that you are confident will honor it. However, my previous specific caution was meant to be aimed at buying uncertified MS and Proof copper coins, due to the prevalence of artificial color on them and the difficulty of assessing it. I'd typically be far less concerned about a lower value, circulated coin, though I'd still hope a full return privilege applied.

Actually, Construct, I paid $67 for the coin and, yes, Mark, I have full return privlege at 100% refund. I do not think this coin will be returned, but if so, then that is the risk one takes with Ebay. I have bought and sold many hundreds of coins on Ebay and only a few were returned. Some should have been, for the advertized grade, but the price was so low the actual grade was still a bargain. Thanks to all for your responses. As I said, better photos will come upon coin inhand.

There appears to be some kind of void behind and below Ms. Liberty's chin that really should not be there. hm I believe that the variety is the small 6, stemless, which is Cohen 1. I don't know of a die state that has this mark. It's either a planchet void or damage.

The sharpness grade is probably VF=EF, but I just don't know about that mark on the obverse.

And yea, it's hard to make things out from this photo.