• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abraham Lincoln - in the buff ! My set on-line ....

17 posts in this topic

Out of 90 coins, I have 86 plus a 1922 weak "D" (instead of no D). The set contains zero pop-tops, no registry coins, no stunning blast-red blazers, no monster toners - just common, down-to-earth circulated Lincoln cents. So if your looking for exciting stuff, this may not be for you! You can view my set on-line:

http://www.earlyus.com/lincolns.htm

Oh, this is not a marketing pitch either - none of the coins is for sale. Just thought you'd like to see what a fellow collector has been up to. Thanks for any and all feedback!

James

Hey I feel better about my Lincoln set now. And I thought I was the only one with a circulated set missing some of the key dates.

I still need the 09-S, 09-S VDB, 14-D, 22 no D, 31-S and the 70 SD, but otherwise I kinda like my set. It was my very first set that my grandfather helped me put together as we searched thru the wheats he gave me. I just expanded it to the Memorials up until 2003.

I hope to someday finish it. I have a hard time parting with that kinda of money for a circulated 09-S VDB though.

Thanks for sharing!

Michael

Everyone,

Please do not encourage James' behavior. He should be focused on pre-1837 coinage and not pocket change. If you encourage him then he might even attempt to put together a Sacagawea set. 893whatthe.gif

This is a sweet set James! I currently work on two circulated sets for my daughters and an unc. set (that will never be purely unc. in the end) for my own album. I feel like I've been centenced to this kind of collecting. insane.gif (Oh no, I feel the punnery just below the surface!!!!!!!!!)

I really like your presentation on the web! Do you have others, such as your Franklin collection?

Hoot

Hoot, the only series I'm collecting right now are IHCs, Lincolns, SLQs and Frankies. My Indian Head cents are mostly dogs, and the set is only maybe 60% complete. I'm missing just two coins from the SLQ set (1916, 1918/7), and only two others need upgrades, so I'll put that set on-line also, as I get time. It's a pretty nice set!

BTW, I've already upgraded eight of the coins in the Lincoln set since I posted it. I plan to continue posting updates to it so folks can see the actual process of assembling a series in action.

Even though Dennis and I do have a business in coins, I am definitely a collector at heart, though these four series are the only ones I can afford to collect right now. Some day, hopefully Dennis will post his collection of miniature Eisenhower dollars that he collected from circulation.

Thanks for the great comments!

James

"miniature Eisenhower dollars ... from circulation"

Did I miss an entire era of coins??? 27_laughing.gif Are you sure these weren't those off of eBay that have been blasted with a kajillion volts of electricity? insane.gif

Hoot

Look forward to your SLQs!

OK, I know they're not "registry set" quality, but my Lincoln set just got upgraded last week with these:

New: 1931-S

Upgrade: 1932-D

Special thanks to Dave Kelly, who sold me the 1931-S and threw in the 1932-D upgrade coin.

Next up? 1909-S VDB 893whatthe.gif

Hey Dave, if I buy another 1931-D, would you throw in the 1909-S VDB? laugh.gif

James

re: I have a hard time parting with that kinda of money for a circulated 09-S VDB though.

Michael, I'd rather purchase a nice circulated specimen than some, jacked-up, striated, uncirculated specimen that is way overpriced. Right?

Nice!

Looks about like the ones I have right now (one complete not counting the 1922 plain, and 2 others nearing completion). I've built mine out of 5000 count circ bags bought from a shop in Nashville (before I moved down to Sarasota).

I'm now in the process of re-searching through the 1909-1939s that I didn't pull from bulk (because they didn't meet my original criteria to be put in sets or 2x2s) and just a couple evenings ago pulled out a 1936 DDO "Broken R" (FS-015). It's about a VG or so, but shows enough detail to see the doubling very easily.