• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 D/D RPM-004 Lincoln Cent submission question?

14 posts in this topic

I have a Lincoln cent - 1943 D/D RPM-004 in Mint State.

I have called NCG and PCGS and neither one will grade this coin as a RPM-004 since it is not listed in the Cherrypickers Guide Fourth Edition, Volume 1.

This is really a beatiful coin, zinc coating over the steel planchet.

I have attached a pic of the Date/Mint Mark showing the Mint Mark re-punch/error.

Any suggestions on how to go about getting this coin graded?

Just submit it as an error coin and have it graded that way?

It is listed in the CONECA Top 100 list.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Curtis

50450-Date-MintMark.JPG.abb116e9cd77cc642b095353e46f7c50.JPG

Have you tried ANACS, give them a call and explain the situation and see what they can or can not do for you.

By the way I like that very much, nice one.

Rey

I tried to call them today and all I got was a fast busy signal.

I will try again tomorrow.

BTW, I read that they had sold and were in the process of moving to Colorado.

Curtis

Coneca has a deal with ICG where Coneca will attribute the error and ICG will grade it. You can find out more information on Coneca's website. I have not used this service, yet. I am waiting for things to "calm down" between ANACS and ICG before submitting a few interesting error coins.

Scott :hi:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This coin appears to have simple die erosion, rather than a RPM. Note that both the date and mintmark are drawn toward the rim.

The surfaces on the coin in question also look like it may have been reproccessed. I strongly suspect it wouldn't even get into a slab as a problem coin at ANACS. I'm also not convinced it is RPM 004

While I am not convinced it is reprocessed just from this small picture, I agree with Conder and Lange that it does not appear to be an RPM. I think what Conder is interpreting as reprocessing I am interpreting as severe die wear, manifesting as orange peeling. This would be consistent with the apparent die erosion around the date and mintmark area.

That being said, Conder knows his stuff, so I wouldn't immediately rule it out, either.

Not sure what to make of it. Worn dies normally only make a blurry type date or mint mark. The sample from Coppercoins is only mildly doubled and there are always exceptions. The thing that gets me is the 4 and 3 appear to be tripled and not just blured but acutally multi numbered in appearance. And reprocessed coins is well over stated most of the time. From the small amount visable it is way to difficult to determine. Regardless, even in MS grade I don't think it would be worth having graded due to the cost of that process.

I talked to ANACS and they said if it didn't have a CherryPicker's number, they would send it over to CONECA and go with whatever they said.....

I would think contacting and sending it to CONECA before grading would be the way to go.....

The best I remember, its like $5.00 plus insurance and shipping to have them look at it...

Thanks,

Curtis

Hello: This is my first post on Collectors Society and while I am not new to coin collecting, I know I have a great deal to learn. I found this thread in doing a search for the 1943 D/D error. I had a BU roll (OBW) of these given to me by my grandparents in 1961. I opened the roll and placed each coin in their own 2x2 and forgot all about them. Thirty of the fifty pennies are exactly like the coin you have shown here with the "4" and the "D" doubling being the most distinct and to the southeast. Some of the thirty look exactly like the rpm#4 pictured by "66rb". I am trying to find out more about these coins, are they an error?, should I get them graded, etc. Sorry about being a bit windy but I thought the background might be helpful. I look forward to following the foums on this website and learning all I can about coins and collecting.

CiscoTech: Just wanted to follow up to see if you found out anything more about your 43dd. I have a bunch of them that look exactly like the one you have pictured - all BU and out of one roll. I really want to find out more about this particular coin. Have you researched any of the coin books found in AYNTK About Coin Collecting? Any information on where to further my research or an update on what you have found out would be great. If anyone else has any information or suggestions they too would be appreciated.